Geotextile question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello again.

I finally got round to starting to lay a shingle drive. I am aiming to lay 100mm of compacted scalpings then 40 - 50 mm of shingle on top. The scalpings will be compacted, i already did a post on this and was pointed at a useful website - i am borrowing a mechanical compactor.

The driveway will replace an old front lawn.

I wanted to use a geotextile under the scalpings to stop the sub base blending in to the surface layer. I should say now, that after excavating away the depth of soil for the driveway i have exposed a layer of clay.
After all the rain today, it now looks like a pond. There is no where for the water to go as i effectivley have a 150mm deep pit. (Hemmed in by kerbstones on 3 sides).

I got very confused in Wickes when buying the Geotextile. Drainage is a major concern (the water table is so high at the moment, my back grass is litrally under water today, also being on clay).

I bought 2 different rolls of stuff, planning to take the one i do not use back for refund.

First roll is called "Driveway Fabric" it is a woven roll. It says "Prevents water from penetrating the substrate" and "prevents puddles and pools from forming on the driveway". Both of these statements sound totally contradictory to me. Is is permiable or not? This is the stuff that i would rather use as it explicitly says for driveways.

The other roll is a mesh, so is obviously permiable. This stuff says "Heavey duty rough ground cover" - "ideal for under pathways, patios and decking". - but maybe this stuff is not strong enough for a driveway?

Sponsored Links
take them both back, the stuff from wickes is pants. et a decent spun woven one such as terram from a builders mercahnt that will be up to the job and last! Having said that it will be better to increase the depth of the mot rather than put the fabric down, as it wont seperate into the clay too much anyway.

Hi,

I agree with Thermo. If you compact the MOT down well, the shingle will hardly blend in at all. If you lay, say, 6 inches of MOT it will give a reasonably good drainage sub-system for your drive. The water won't rush away but it will go slowly.

good underlay is the key but 6" is not enough it will become uneven over the years to follow at least 10 to 12 is needed compact every 4 you might also run drainage pipe down the sides to ease runoff

Sponsored Links
no it's a sensible point of view your way will have him replacing the drive in a few years

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back