Getting a new boiler fitted

Thanks, I doubt they'd get another curved one, probably get a properly sized radiator somewhere else in the room.

if you, or they, are fond of DIY plumbing, you can get a surprising amount of muck out of a neglected system with £15 worth of Sentinel X400 circulated for 4 weeks (at this time of year you can turn the boiler stat down) and half an hour's work to fit a £100 Magnaclean.

It will do nothing but good, and will probably remove the need for powerflushing.

I am a householder not a pro. I guarantee you will be amazed and delighted to see how much black sediment theh Magnaclean traps, and it continues working permanently.

I would probably flush the system and tell them to get the Magnaclean fitted but I don't think they are the type that would let me do that, I am comfortable with adding chemicals (concentrate tube) but I am not sure how to seal a blank plug properly if I use a liquid type.

Sponsored Links
you mention it is a 20-year old boiler so I was envisaging an open-vented one (not pressurised) with a Feed and Expansion tank in the loft. In this case you just tip the chemical into the F&E tank and stir them in

(in fact, you should bale out any sediment from the tank first, and draw off a couple of gallons of water from the drain cock to draw the chemical into the circulating water.

Open vented systems are much easier to add chemicals to, than sealed systems.

(you can however buy the sentinel chemicals in concentrate tubes if you need to inject them.)

Sponsored Links
if you, or they, are fond of DIY plumbing, you can get a surprising amount of muck out of a neglected system with £15 worth of Sentinel X400 circulated for 4 weeks (at this time of year you can turn the boiler stat down) and half an hour's work to fit a £100 Magnaclean.

I am a householder not a pro.

Whilst I appreciate that you are a householder and not a pro, I am surprised that you have not noticed that X800 will do the same job in two hours instead of four weeks!

The only time that I would want to use X400 would be if I was in a hurry and was just about to go on holiday and wanted to delay my completion of the job until my return.

Tony

Tony

I am surprised that you have not noticed that X800 will do the same job in two hours instead of four weeks!

Thanks for that, that was what I thought should be done but when JohnD mentioned X400 I got confused.

Hahaha!

I have been very pleased with X400 in loosening sediment, and I haven't got a power-flushing machine

I like mild, non-aggressive chemicals now, after what happened with the Fernox acid cleaners when I didn't notice my drain cock was dripping on my biking jacket

View media item 390
View media item 391
View media item 1740

Hahaha!

I have been very pleased with X400 in loosening sediment, and I haven't got a power-flushing machine

View media item 1740

Whilst X800 is very good to use with a power flusher its also very good to use on its own. For a couple of hours you can run the heating to circulate and warm it up.

Is that you in the last photo?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back