getting a polished finish.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have been plastering a while now, I have noticed some plasterers get a high polish effect on the plaster finish. I just wondered how i would go about doing the same.

Thanks in advance.

Dombe :eek:

Sponsored Links
Polishing with a dry trowel (after you've wet trowelled ) will produce a polished surface.

Practice makes perfect :D

yes its all in the final troweling and leaving it long enough before finishing if you overwork it you get that finely dimpled surface especially if finishing board its caused by the paper or upper most layer of bonding being mixed into the finish

Sponsored Links
To get a good polish use a wooden float in a circular motion just as it starts to set

The key to good skimming is when to know where to stop.
A polished finish should not be taken literally but when the finish is cureing and turning from pink to a darkish purple is when to be "polishing" off .... meaning a dry steel trowell.
Anything beyond this is a point past the best finish attainable as the plaster will pick up imperfections called slacks as chappers stated, theese will become apparent when it comes to painting, and in fact it is recognised that a high polished finish is detremental for a pained finish. Theese slacks are very noticeable on the shine from wall lights and downlighters oweing to the fact that the surface has been overworked .The finish should be smooth but with a matt kind of fel rather than a high shine glass. the former will paint beautifully the latter will show up many imperfections.
Do not Polish!!

chappers said:
Don't touch it with a wooden float.

quite correct, don't even think about going over finish with a wooden float.
follow 'legs' advice and you won't go wrong.

dj.

As a DIY'er who definitely can't plaster, I have to say that in terms of trying to paint a plaster surface that has been highly polished, then I have to agree that this is a real Pain in the rear. A couple of times I've had to lightly sand a polished plaster surface in order to get good paint adhesion. Apart from feeling guilty about undoing some other guys work, it made my job longer as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back