Getting certificates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to get EPC and EICR certificates for a 2 bed flat in London. Anyone knows the typical costs of these things and where do I find people to do them?

For EPC, https://getting-new-energy-certificate.service.gov.uk gives a list of assessors. Is this an exhaustive list?

An estate agent quoted 100 + VAT + small fee for EPC, and 200 + VAT + small fee for EICR.

Sponsored Links
Bull oxes, I got D on a £40 EPC. Could be that you get what you pay for. The property above me has B. Surrounding ones go from E to B, most are C. I have 20 year old incandescent bulbs throughout. If I temporarily swap them out to LEDs, perhaps I could improve the score slightly.

The gov site does appear to give an exhaustive list of assessors. Some of the assessors are one stop shops for EPC and EIRC. Some do gas additionally. I found cheaper on the internet for EIRC. Although, I half expect to get ripped off with a fail so that they make back the money through remedial work.

I paid £250 for EICR in 2021, chap was there for 8-10 hours over a couple of days as I had to get a change of consumer unit, bathroom lights and correct what a previous tenant had done to the ring main. He tested and inspected every socket outlet, all light fittings and switches. Report came through 2 days later along with his invoice.

EPC £40 for the inspection, another £40 for the certificate and registration. 2019.

All in Leicestershire.

I paid all inclusive for EPC. It was next day assessment and then another next day registered on gov site. The cost is probably to do with the floor area. Small places take less effort and cheaper.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
LED bulbs is the first thing they will write on the EPC as a means to increasing the rating assuming there are none now, so might get you up a notch so could be worth doing.

Last edited:
It's only worth doing before the assessment, not after. After, it's the next guy's problem. I have a whole bunch of incandescents to get rid of. Back in the day they were £1 for 8. They could worth a bomb as ebay antiques.

It's only worth doing before the assessment, not after. After, it's the next guy's problem. I have a whole bunch of incandescents to get rid of. Back in the day they were £1 for 8. They could worth a bomb as ebay antiques.

I hope you get tenants who treat your property with the distain you treat them.

Not keeping it.

Oh, that's ok then. We can all have a laugh at the next guy - well done! Maybe you could strip out some insulation as well, maybe replace it with newspaper or something.

Epc for a flat in london is £50 average.
That's something I still get involved with for my former customers.
I have my preferred assessor that I found on the gov website.
Estate agents will of course double that price because they act as middle man.

Oh, that's ok then. We can all have a laugh at the next guy - well done! Maybe you could strip out some insulation as well, maybe replace it with newspaper or something.
You are projecting. So, now we know what you really have underneath. I am OK with that and have seen worse. I am a no work, no maintenance kind of guy. Anything more than screwing on a bulb is too much hassle.

What you don't seem to get is that bolting the door after the horse has bolted does absolutely no good. The score is already set, changing the bulbs won't change that. I mentioned it to tip people off for their benefit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back