getting inside a creda 37549 tumble dryer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a creda 37549 tumble dryer that I have had for many many years. This is now squeaking badly so I need to replace the bearings. The problem I have is taking it to bits to get at them.

There is no problem in getting the top off. However the sides and back are pop riveted together and they appear to be screwed to the base panel. In the centre of the back is a separate box which juts out and is attached by 10 screws around the outside, but there are another 10 screws going through the back panel of this box. Having 20 screws holding this box on seems overkill, so I suspect some of them doing something other than just attaching this box (and I don't want to foul things up unneccessarily).

So does anyone know the correct sequence of taking this drier apart, or can point me to a repair/maintenance manual.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Hi, I had a similar problem, what I thought was noisy bearings but this machine has small jockey wheels which keep the tension on the drive belt. I took the jockey wheels out and thoroughly cleaned inside them, replaced, no noise.

Normally one would remove the lid of the machine, then the right side (if you face the front) and you will see what I spoke of. A little fiddly with their own tension spring but worth the venture.
Good luck

Normally one would remove the lid of the machine, then the right side (if you face the front) and you will see what I spoke of. A little fiddly with their own tension spring but worth the venture. Good luck

The problem is that the side panels do not come off separately. Sigh! There is a single left-side + rear-panel + right side assembly all pop-riveted together.

are there any old-timers out there who have met this before?

If it is the jockey pulleys causing the noise you can change one or both of them by removing the vent tube that runs back to front of the machine,have a look first quite a fiddly job,note where the pulleys locate in the base as there are two sets of holes.Failing that the front panel is the way in.

Sponsored Links
I now think this may be one of the smaller tumble dryers and therefore the casing is released at the back and base; the whole sides and top (in one?) are then lifted clear upwards?

Check the release as you go, it may be that one also has to release it at the top behind the control panel, which could be released by taking the control knob off, there is a screw behind that, then the panel will probably just unclip and move to one side, giving access to other fixing screws for the sides.

The only way in to this 1990 model is unscrew the base and if this is not pop riveted. Otherwise the rivets need to be drilled out on the side and then use screws to replace the rivets or use a pop rivet gun to put it back together. The squeak will come from the pulleys next to the motor. Just undo one side panel and you can get I to it like that. Have you checked the earth strap on the rear drum ,that might need copper grease on it. remove the ten screws on the heater cover to see it.

The only way in to this 1990 model is unscrew the base and if this is not pop riveted. Otherwise the rivets need to be drilled out on the side and then use screws to replace the rivets or use a pop rivet gun to put it back together. The squeak will come from the pulleys next to the motor. Just undo one side panel and you can get I to it like that. Have you checked the earth strap on the rear drum ,that might need copper grease on it. remove the ten screws on the heater cover to see it.

The base is screwed on fortunately. I will have another go at taking it apart.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back