Getting insulation between floors.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like info and suggestions on getting insulation between my downstairs and my bedrooms up stairs. I can see in the gap but how can I force the insulation into the gap?
From one side to the other is 3m.
The pink is the wool and the gap is shown where the size is written.
Or do I need to?

Also after laying the wool it was still squashed as it was on the roll will it fill out by its self or will I need to flump it myself?

Cheers.[/img]

Sponsored Links
If I have this correct, the area of floor that you want to Insulate, is the ceiling of a Living room and Bedroom. Above them is another Bedroom?

if this is correct then general principals are that you do not need to Insulate this area because, you are not loosing any heat outwith the rooms of the house.

Any heat escaping from the downstairs area ends up in an already insulated upper apartment, the only time you have to insert Insulants is when heat is being "lost" into an area that is not in occupation [a loft area used for storage, for example] or a flat roof or similar.

Heat loss from the lower rooms will be fairly minor because the upper apartment is itself heated, albeit not to the same extent as the living room.

Yes you are correct KenGMac. And thanks I did wonder as I knew the heat could really only go as far as the other bedroom.

Now my next q is. On the other side of the house is a bathroom and the paint on the roof is flaking and have been told this is condensation on the roof but I always open the window when showering and also have a radiator in the room.

I have been told that I need to keep the heat in the bathroom to try and make the roof warmer than the steam thats why I wondered about putting insulation in there. Am i on ther right track or is it a load of rubbish and I need to look at why there is conensation?

Sponsored Links
Kev, Hi.

It sounds as if it is Condensation, if there is little or indeed no insulation in the roof void above the bathroom.

I assume that you can access it Via one of the doors and crawl spaces? if so then Yes insert insulation to the roof area here, do not cut the bale of insulation if poss prior to entering the roof space, that stuff [as part of a previous question you made will expand and assume its full depth on its own] use protection as glass Wool is a well known irritant, gloves, boiler suit and tape the gloves to the arms.

CAUTION !
The roof space above the insulation MUST BE VENTILATED, [ Indeed the entire roof void above the insulation as well ] because you are stopping the heat from escaping, but, the vast volumes of moisture can and will percolate through the plasterboard / Lath & Plaster [ what ever your ceiling in this area is made from] Result will be condensation not on the ceiling but within the roof space void, why? Because there is no escaping heat from the bathroom, just loads of moisture vapour, dumping itself into a [now the Insulation is installed very cold roof space / void]

One other thought? please consider the installation of an extract fan, either through the wall, or the so called "up and over" type that is a fan extract on the ceiling, the motor in the roof void, and the exhaust to the air mounted on the Soffit of the eaves

If you arrange your home heating in zones (which must include turning off the radiator in unused bedrooms) then it must make sense to insulate between zones.

To get the insulation in there, probably easier to pull it in than push it in, and easier to so before it fluffs up. I'd try one of those electricians cable pulling tools (every house should have one) with duct tape to 'support' the insulation and somebody feeding it in from the other end. Others will no doubt have better ideas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back