Getting Loft insulation through a tiny hatch ??!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to top up the insulation above our 1980's built main bedroom extension.
BUT
the only access is through a tiny ceiling hatch. The opening is only 28cm x 42cm so does this mean that any roll of insulation, however squashed/compressed will just not fit through that space and I will have to look at slab insulation instead ?
I realise it is a bit of 'how long is a piece of string' type question but any comment/experiences would be appreciated.
Many thanks.
Brian.

Sponsored Links
I suppose you could cut down slab insulation but tearing off rolls and re bagging will be more efficient and probably quicker.

Blup

Can you not open the roll at the foot of the ladder and pull the end of the roll up from within the loft? (Like the Andrex dog)

Thanks for the suggestions. I hadn't thought of re-bagging half a roll, that should squash better.
I had considered opening and pulling through, Andrex style, but I could just see the roll tearing itself to bits.
Cheers
Brian.

Sponsored Links
28cm = 11 inches and 42cm = 16.5 inches. That's tiny. Can you squeeze in/up through that, and back out, safely?

Loft rolls are approx 45cm diameter, compressed. You'd need to cut the roll into 10 inch wide strips to stand a chance of getting it up??

Make loft hatch opening bigger?

28cm = 11 inches and 42cm = 16.5 inches. That's tiny. Can you squeeze in/up through that, and back out, safely?

Loft rolls are approx 45cm diameter, compressed. You'd need to cut the roll into 10 inch wide strips to stand a chance of getting it up??

Make loft hatch opening bigger?
Yes, it is tiny and no I can't squeeze through but two of the Grandchildren can (15 and 11). Agile and slight build. Ceiling rafters make it impossible to enlarge it. I am stuck with it !
Cheers
Brian.

Thanks for the suggestions. I hadn't thought of re-bagging half a roll, that should squash better.
I had considered opening and pulling through, Andrex style, but I could just see the roll tearing itself to bits.
Cheers

You could reduce the diameter of a roll, by putting it in a plastic bin bag, then sucking the air out with a vacuum cleaner.

Yes, it is tiny and no I can't squeeze through but two of the Grandchildren can (15 and 11). Agile and slight build.
Dare I say, laying loft insulation really isn't a job for children.
Especially not, if fibreglass/rockwool.

My loft hatch used to be 16x13" and was tight, but I could get through it.
I had some space roll insulation, and that pushed though the gap, with a little persuasion.

Yes, it is tiny and no I can't squeeze through but two of the Grandchildren can (15 and 11). Agile and slight build. Ceiling rafters make it impossible to enlarge it. I am stuck with it !
Cheers
Brian.
Nothings impossible .

Loft rolls are normally split into two down the length of the roll to suit the various sizes between rafters. You could divide the roll into two separate rolls before passing them up. Nothing wrong with child labour provided they are briefed properly and kitted out with ovies, gloves and suitable masks.

Nothing wrong with child labour provided they are briefed properly and kitted out with ovies, gloves and suitable masks.

True, most enjoy the learning experience, and it stands them in good stead for when they have their own DIY to do.

Loft rolls are normally split into two down the length of the roll to suit the various sizes between rafters. You could divide the roll into two separate rolls before passing them up. Nothing wrong with child labour provided they are briefed properly and kitted out with ovies, gloves and suitable masks.
Unless the rolls split into widths 280mm or less (which they don't) splitting them will not help

Cheers
Brian.
If the edge is curved and smooth it should slide over without much damage, put the roll on top of something high and have someone at the bottom feeding it, the difficulty will be that the 400mm width is the most useful which may or may not match up with the orientation of how you want to lay the strips out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back