getting your customer to sign contracts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How many of you do this and is their any free software available to make simple contracts?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
every time and you need to be aware of the new legislation about cooling off times as well.

Im curious about this as well, at the moment we send a quote out, if they want us to do the work then they ring or email us (our jobs are generally small) but I dont want to continue like this.

Im thinking about adding a line into the quote if you wish to proceed then please confirm this in writing - is that fair enough?

i have about a page of terms and conditions that i adapt for eah job. Covers things like working hours, if we order materials and they cancel they are liable for any re-stocking charges, when payment is due, what happens if there is a dispute, etc etc

It gets sent with each quote. If they want the work done then they have to sign it before the work is done, saying they agree to the quote and the terms and conditions. You also have to give them details about their rights to cancel and how they can do it, as well as that they can waive thi sright if they want the work done asap. Ive got a copy of it from our local trading standards. when i get a chance ill post it up here.

Get them to sign as if you have a problem, it helps to clarify your position

Sponsored Links
would be good if you can post it up here, I will get them to sign from now on thanks

terms and conditions are a bit of waste of time unless your going to take anyone who breaks them to court,as you know this is a expensive and complicated time consuming scenario.

terms and conditions are a bit of waste of time unless your going to take anyone who breaks them to court,as you know this is a expensive and complicated time consuming scenario.

genrally the 'public' are not savvy when it comes to contracts. You MUST protect yourself from them (the Public).

If you have a standard quote form or letter, add T&C to the back page. Set out terms of payment, deposits, cancelation terms etc etc, copy another companies T&C if required. I never give a quote persay, My clients get a contract (3 self carbon style ) they sign in front of me and get all three copies as their quote. If they want to go ahead they sign thru' all three and we get two back. It works and it is up to them to read the terms before the job is started.

Our customers in general like a contract that secures the price.

twice in 10 years we have had issues with contracts, both sorted out and all paid up. (Our work £1000- £32,000+)

PROTECT YOURSELVES with a contract

i completley disagree. it shows youre professional and every one knows where they stand. each to their own, but i know what i would rather do. Being able to point at something in writing has helped me out with a dodgy customer a few times.

I must have come across wrong i did not mean that you should not have contracts,what i meant is do not rely upon them unless your willing to take action.As for the general public not aware of there rights and how to complain hold back payments all they need to do is google or come on this type of site and see how to avoid payment.I think you now need to rely on your common sense and how you feel about a customer b4 taking the job on.Here is a case yesterday customer rings in for a quote but wants it over the phone and me to break down various costs for him over the phone eg materials and labour.I explain i never do that as i need to see the job first,he became rather aggressive in his tone after this point,needless to say i shall not be quoting as this his is attitude b4 anyones began the job getting payment with or without contract is not worth the hassle

Don't dally dilly,

I agree, sod em!

many 'joes' feel that that need to know what your wage/profit is for their job. I have just done 3 hrs repair work to sandstone columns for £285 + Vat.

parts £20
fuel £5
labour £60

Knowing how to do it. £200. Knowledge is everything.

The job for a solicitor that probably charges £500 and hour.

Crackin.

:LOL:

complete agreement on that one dilly. If i dont like the look of a job or a client i walk away. To date ive never been bumped for payment. Ive had the odd nutcase that has backfired on me as well. I may have missed out on some wonderful work because of it, but at least i sleep reasonably soundly!

anyone have any terms and conditions I could 'steal' or get a sample one somewhere. i dont mind paying as i think its important to have one in place

thanks but your email isnt in your profile and i couldnt see a PM link. im a gas engineer just starting out

sandhu40 stick your e-mail address in your profile and ill e-mail mine over

Sponsored Links
Back