Gillette blades

Nice to see others using the traditional DE razors.
Surely the OP is old enough to have used these in his youth?

Gillette is Proctor and Gamble and they have many factories in many places making many things for many companies.

Would a return to the DE not be easier on older skin?

Sponsored Links
I use an electric shaver ... I'll get my coat :(

Electric shavers leave my skin a bit sore. I only wet shave in the bath, and as having a bath whilst away in the caravan is not possible, I make do with an electric shave, and sore skin. Back in the day, yes I used a DE, and bits of tissue stuck on the nicks - but I wouldn't use one now.

I find with the modern multi-blade razors, cuts are rare and a clean shave is easy.

Sponsored Links
Electric shavers leave my skin a bit sore. I only wet shave in the bath, and as having a bath whilst away in the caravan is not possible, I make do with an electric shave, and sore skin. Back in the day, yes I used a DE, and bits of tissue stuck on the nicks - but I wouldn't use one now.
To be fair when I used to shave every day, the electric shaver irritated my neck skin. So I started a slightly strange routine of wet shaving my neck and using the electric on my face.

Now I only shave twice a week and the neck skin doesn't get irritated. I then use Nivea Men Post Shave Balm.

Well, it has take me four days, off and on, trying to make sense of the Gillette range of razors and blades - I dare not suggest that I understand it, but I may have managed to order what will fit, and is the later version of the blade I like...

It seems what was a 5 blade with a blue plastic strip, now uses an orange strip, on the. edge furthest from the handle. They still call them a Fusion ProGlide. The whole issue is made much more complex, by the sheer number of sellers selling clever fakes, and what they call 'compatible blades'.

I've ordered 8 from a seller, whom I have messaged, and assures me their blades are certainly the genuine item. I've unknowingly bought, and tested fakes in the past - they are painful to use, though visually indistinguishable from the genuine item.

I also ordered a new handle, the later version with the side to side swivelling head, to see if it is an improvement on my fixed head version

I use an electric shaver ... I'll get my coat :(

Same here, I'm too cack-handed to faff with blades and little bits of toilet paper. :giggle:

My old Remington rechargeable cuts almost as good as wet, without any blood and guts. Scraping your face with a blade seems so primitive.. It's about 10 years old. When the rechargeable batteries died recently, I very carefully dismantled it and soldered in some new rechargeables I got very cheaply on Ebay. Good for another 10 years. Reason I did this was not to save money, but all the new Remingtons (and inferior Brauns) have swivelling heads which I don't like. Mine is fixed head.

Last edited:
Same here, I'm too cack-handed to faff with blades and little bits of toilet paper. :giggle:

Electric shavers always leave my skin a little raw, so I avoid as much as possible. I get a similar effect, though not quite so bad, when I try to wet shave in the washbasin, I get the best, easiest, and most comfortable shave, during and after - whilst having a soak in the bath. A bonus, seems to be - the blades last much longer, doing it that way too.

My old Remington rechargeable cuts almost as good as wet, without any blood and guts. Scraping your face with a blade seems so primitive.. It's about 10 years old. When the rechargeable batteries died recently, I very carefully dismantled it and replaced with new rechargeables I got very cheaply on Ebay. Good for another 10 years. Reason I did this was not to save money, but all the new Remingtons (and inferior Brauns) have swivelling heads which I don't like. Mine is fixed head.
Surely after all those years you've had to replace the foils at least once and possibly the blades?

It seems what was a 5 blade with a blue plastic strip, now uses an orange strip, on the. edge furthest from the handle. They still call them a Fusion ProGlide. The whole issue is made much more complex, by the sheer number of sellers selling clever fakes, and what they call 'compatible blades'.
I've always thought (maybe wrongly) the little strip of stuff they put on these razors to assist with glide etc essentially do feck all ...

When damp, these strips assist by providing lubrication, but they need to be moist otherwise they just cause drag.

I've always thought (maybe wrongly) the little strip of stuff they put on these razors to assist with glide etc essentially do feck all ...

I have absolutely no opinion on that, because I have never tried any other form of multi-bladed razor. I began with a battery Philishave, grew beard and tash for a while, tried a DE, then a mains Philishave, and at some point a Braun - all of which left my skin sore. I then tried the Fusion/Proglide, whilst having a bath, found I had no problems at all, so I tried to stick with them. I did buy and try a DE, a few years ago, but only used it once - once was enough.

When damp, these strips assist by providing lubrication, but they need to be moist otherwise they just cause drag.

Surely, when the razor is in use, the strips will be moist/wet anyway?

What I notice is - after considerable usage, the blue strip on the blades, becomes much more of a pale blue. They suggest the blades should last around a month, but I find the can remain useable for several months, before they become noticeably less effective. It is certainly noticeable, when I fit a new blade.

I have used DE razors. Got to go slow with them.

These days i use a Mach 3.

Twice a week shave, head and neck as i have beard. And, i only shave 'with the grain' too. Makes for a pain free, spot free shave, most of the time!

Sponsored Links
Back