Glass doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there something I can do to make my glass doors at the back of the house visibly safer? At the moment someone could just put their hand through the glass to reach the handle and walk in.

Thanks for help :D

Sponsored Links
do you mean to stop some one walking into it, not realising its there? if so a decorative sticker will do.

if you mean to stop an intruder i doubt its easy, since the glass should be laminated

Well they're double glazed (perhaps thats the same thing :oops: ). I still worry someone can just brake it with a hammer - am I wrong?

You'd have to get a new double glazed unit with laminated glass fitted, or fit it yourself. The price is relative: depends what price you put on security. At the end of the day if a burglar wants to get in he will. :(

Sponsored Links
I guess I'll get a visible alarm / security lights. If otherwise it's just a question of double glazing thickness - I guess ours is thick enough.

Thanks for advice :)

Well they're double glazed (perhaps thats the same thing :oops: ). I still worry someone can just brake it with a hammer - am I wrong?

Double glazed units are not armour-plated. Glass will always break when hit with something like a hammer despite whatever lies might have been told to you when you bought the windows originally.

One thing you might want to consider is a double glazed unit made up with an inside pane of 6mm Toughened Safety glass and an outside pane of 10.8mm thick Laminated Safety glass. The 10.8 Laminated glass will still break but is a lot harder to smash through then what glass you've already got and will make a lot of noise. This unit make-up will also reduce a lot of outside noise.
The downside is the weigh it will add to the door. You'll need to make sure that it is toe-and-heeled by someone with a bit of common sense.

As freddymercurystwin as already said, if a burglar is determined enough to get in then he will.

You're probably on the right tracks by fitting a visible alarms and perhaps camera's? Prevention is always better than cure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back