Glass prices for double glazed units.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house was old by an older women and quite a lot of the decor reflected this, the house has been modernised quite a lot, however the DG windows have a "Leading" effect applied to them. At first I thought i would just be able to remove this from the external side of the glas, however it looks like there is another layer between the two layers of glass.

What I really want to know is if there is generally much difference between buying a full unit or just the glass, also is it easy to replace the glass in an old DG unit? they must be getting on to 15 years old however are in excellent condition and have no real desire to change the whole casings etc.

Sponsored Links
It will be significantly cheaper to replace the glazing units rather than the frames plus glazing, not to speak of the making good that would be involved in changing the frames.

Removal of the glazing beads is straightforward enough but it can take a bit of perseverance to acquire the knack of getting the first one out without doing any damage. It's always a good idea to mark the beads as they come out, just in case they are of unequal lengths side to side, or top and bottom.

Not clear on what you want to replace here:

a) The D/G units, but leave the existing frames intact or

b) Relace the leaded sheet of glass in the D/G unit only and re-fit to existing frame.

If a) listen to what Xerxes is saying. If b) forget it. Listen to what Xerxes is saying.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back