Gledhill Boilermate II

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two problems with this 'device'. It has a separate header tank in the loft and the boiler is beside and slightly above. I have got the boiler thermostat on high and the tank half way such that the boiler is controlled by the Boilermate OK. First problem is the header tank pipe is very hot and the water in the header tank warm. I have not noticed this before and it might be normal, that is quesiton 1! The second is the hot water to the shower and bath starts off nice and hot and then goes luke warm. I have adjusted the mixer valve and when one puts it to cold the water is cold, putting it to fully hot it is only warm and the outlet from the Boilermate is also only warm. Is this a bunged up coil? If so, how can I clear it please?

Sponsored Links
The central heating side is working fine thanks. It responds rapidly from the heat store as radiators get hot before the boiler has kicked in to keep the tank hot.

then its nothing to do with the coil or tank.

i'd say the mixing valve is faulty, common enough issue and easy for you to change yourself. just turn off the mains water and open a hot tap, undo connections with a bucket underneath and swap them over when the water stops dripping from it.

Sponsored Links
Before replacing the mixing valve, which does sound the culprit, just check the primary pump is working ok.

Yes, both pumps are working. I, however, thought the domestic water was solely mains water pressure. I thought one pump heated the water in the tank, the other pump circulated that same water through the heating system and the hot water system was fed by mains pressure cold water flowing through a heat exchanger sitting in the hot water?

Now find a source at a reasonable price of the Brawa-Mix valve, Keeptheheaton want £96.99 + VAT.

You are correct, but the primary pump not working correctly will greatly reduce the amount of HW you will get.

That price is very good, if it is brand new and genuine.

I would charge £172.65 + fitting + VAT as a standard job.

Hot water turning cold could be the mixing valve, but i would also suspect the coil if you're in a hard water area (some parts of hants can be very bad for hard water)
Before spending money on a new mixing valve try disconnecting it and rigging up a connection to where the hot water coil leaves the cylinder.

If hot water is constant, then it's a faulty mixing valve, if you have the same problem then coil needs powerflushing with chemicals.

Many thanks for your advice. I have got the valve and will change it soon.

John Webb

When to turn on the hot tap do you get a slug of hot water which then goes cold?

If so then the it could be the primary pump or the store not full of water. I had an occasion where the feed to the store was blocked and so the coil wasn't actually being heated.

I have seen many of the mixer valves changed and often that not sorting the problem.

There are a number of different configuration of these not sure which the BM2 is.

I suspect, from experience of neighbours houses, I have both a mixer valve and a scale problem. Some have changed the valve and it cured the problem. The 'boiler' circuit seemd OK to me as the radators get fully hot and the pumps sound and feel OK. I do have a complete set of manuals as left by the installer when the house was built in 1998! I will carry on experimenting after I have changed the mixer valve but major descaling will have to wait until summer.

Don't leave the de-scaling until its too late !
If the coil does get blocked to the extent that you can't pump any chemicals through it then your only option will be to replace the whole thing.

Like I suggested before, remove the mixing valve and rig something up to pass water through the coil (into a bucket or whatever)that'll give an idea if the coil is working / blocked etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back