Gledhill Gulfstream 2000 problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I’m hoping someone is out there that can help with an issue I have with my Gledhill Gulfstream 2000 boiler. I’ve had this boiler since I moved into my house from new in 2005.

Over the last week or so it has started making a loud humming noise intermittently. I starts quietly, building in volume until its very loud (enough to wake you up!) then it dies down again to nothing. The noise is similar to what you hear when the heating kicks in but the volume gets much louder.

It happens between 2-5 times per day and can be at any point in the day but most noticeable in the morning when the heating comes on as per the timer. The heating is timed to go off around 10:30 pm but last night the noise woke me up at 1:30 am so it’s not just happening when the heating is ‘on’.

It’s difficult to track down whether the noise is coming directly from the boiler in the cupboard upstairs or from the loft directly above where the pipe goes directly above it.

From researching on line few people seem to have a good word to say about this model. I’ve called a few plumbers/heating engineers and either been told that they won’t work on it or that its better to get a new boiler. I’ve almost resigned myself to this but I’m convince that there must be somebody out there that has experience of this fault on this model who may be able to give some advice on what is wrong.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
does the noise build up as the boiler heats, and when the boiler shuts off it goes quiet?
If so it could be a build of scale/sludge or the pump might be running slower than it should.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back