Glow-worm 12hxi problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had this boiler fitted 5yrs ago and ran it at 75c for the first 3 yrs and it seemed ok. I then upped it to its max temp. 2 yrs ago and then noticed what I thought was cavitation which started at 70c and disappeared when it reached 82c and modulating. I have the programmer set on hot water only for the first hour 6am-7am, and then the rest of the day it runs heating only. The boiler has the same fault on both seperate circuits. I have had the system power flushed but to no avail. The installer has serviced this boiler annually, but the problem has got him baffled and he is now clutching at straws and wants to fit a new pcb but without a logical reason. I have checked boiler flow and return temps and there is a 20c drop until the temp. gets close to 82c. it then drops to about 10c diff. I was a heating fitter until I retired 20yrs ago. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Boilers don't cavitate, but pumps can. I would think your noise is heat exchanger related. Probably not doing any harm.

I had this boiler fitted 5yrs ago and ran it at 75c for the first 3 yrs and it seemed ok. I then upped it to its max temp. 2 yrs ago and then noticed what I thought was cavitation which started at 70c and disappeared when it reached 82c and modulating. I have the programmer set on hot water only for the first hour 6am-7am, and then the rest of the day it runs heating only. The boiler has the same fault on both seperate circuits. I have had the system power flushed but to no avail. The installer has serviced this boiler annually, but the problem has got him baffled and he is now clutching at straws and wants to fit a new pcb but without a logical reason. I have checked boiler flow and return temps and there is a 20c drop until the temp. gets close to 82c. it then drops to about 10c diff. I was a heating fitter until I retired 20yrs ago. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Open vented or sealed system? If it's open there may be several reasons for air in rad?

Before getting up to target temp it will be running flat out so that's when you are most likely to hear kettling and associated noises. The heat exchanger may be becoming partially blocked so use of a system cleaner such as Fernox DS40 might help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back