The real CH problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Abot 2 years ago I had a Glow worm Ultracom 12hxi fitted in my 3 bed house. Everything was fine and dandy until recently. The first sign of a problem was cooler radiators. (used to be hot) I changed the pump as the other one was a bit noisy and I thought maybe it was not up to its job anymore. Things seemed ok for a while.

Recently I started getting a F25 fault code on the boiler. Pressing reset started the boiler, but the fault keeps coming back now and again., usually first thing in the morning. The manual says its something to do with too big a difference on the flow and return temps.

What does this mean?

Is it a flow/pump problem?

I am in the process of cleaning the system and removing rads and flushing to see if it helps.

Any insights from the experts will be most welcome.

allan

Sponsored Links
After a DAY of dealing with F'ing Idiots I come home to find another one on here I'M OUT! :eek: :rolleyes: :evil:

Sponsored Links
That wasn't very nice Boilerman2, I thought you were going to try and be helpful. Sorry I ruined your day. :cry: :confused:

Anyway, an update.
removed and flushed the three downstairs rads, also flushed flow and return pipes to each rad. I reinstalled the rads, filled the system and bled the rads.
I turned the heating system on and waited for the temp to build. An airlock in the boiler caused problems with the flow so I had little success with heating the rads. I couldn't remove the airlock, so went back to work and just left the heating on the timeclock.
Came home to the F25 fault, reset boiler and tried again. The airlock was still there, so I raised the boiler temp to 90C to try and remove it by overheating. I got the F5 fault code and the boiler shut off.
I reset the boiler, lowered the temp to 75C, bled the rads and pump again and waited for the boiler to light. Hooray!! no airlock.
Turned boiler to CH only and waited. Upstairs rads getting warm, downstairs rads still cold. proceeded with more balancing and opened the LS valves on the downstairs rads a tiny bit at a time until I started getting hot water coming through. I now have 2 out of three rads downstairs hot and all upstairs rads warm. The third rad downstairs is the last in line and has never really got hot, so more balancing is needed.

I have now turned the boiler to HW and CH and so far so good, no loss of heat to the rads. I wait with baited breathe to see what happens in the morning.

I now intend to use a flushing chemical in the system for a week then replace it with an inhibitor., AND book a service for the boiler.

Perhaps you are living on a different planet?

On mother earth where I live, its normal to clean the system BEFORE a new boiler is fitted.

Its also normal to service the boiler every YEAR !

Tony

Thanks Tony, I do live on mother earth and did flush out the system before the new boiler was fitted. However, I did not remove all the rads and clean them individually and then individually flush out each flow and return pipe as I have done now.

I do admit to not getting the boiler serviced last year. A fault I will now rectify.

Is this my day for being abused :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back