GLOW-WORM 18sx BOILER PROBLEM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
First time posting so apologies in advance if I step outside any forum rule.I have a 3 yr old Glow-worm 18sx boiler and it had it's 2nd service today so duely had it service by our local branch of the Irish Gas Company here in Dublin. The serviceman pointed out that the original installer never wired up a second feed to the boiler display and fan....only to the timer. (the 1st service was done by the original installer so this problem never came to light until now). The guy who serviced it today said that the secondary wiring allows the display to stay on all the time and for the fan to cut it to cool down the boiler after its been switched off. I hope I've got this right so far.
Now, in the last 2 wks or so we were seeing error code F9 and F22 coming up and while the boiler is now working fine now the service guy said that he was still seeing both codes come up during the service itself.He checked the water pressure and it was perfect. So, my question is...could the last 3 yrs of the fan not coming on be related in any way to error code F9/F22 ?
Obviously, I'll be talking to the original installation co tomorrow to have the wiring rectified but I'd like to know if there's any long term damage to the boiler also. ANY advice is most welcome

Sponsored Links
Without research I cannot say if any permanent damage might have been done but I doubt it.

Modern boilers have a permanent live mains feed which allows fan and/or pumpover run and sometimes frost protection.

In that case when heat is needed 240v is applied to a Switched Live connection to bring the boiler on.

In some cases there is no extra wire to the boiler location and the installer just wires the switched live to the permanent and the switched live. So immediately the demand for heat ceases the power to the boiler is lost as are over run and frost protection.

To make their boielrs mopre marketable many makers say its permissible to do that but a boiler engineer would consider it undesirable to prevent fan/pump overrun from operating and would expect the life of the boiler would be shortened.

Hope that helps explain whats going on ( or rather not ).

Tony Glazier

Thanks for your prompt reply Tony...much appreciated.

Not sure I follow you fully though..are you saying one live feed is seen as 'adequate' by some installers/manufacturers even though the pump and frost protection could be disabled (and in turn the background light on the display) resulting in a potential shortening of the boilers lifespan.
I'd like to be able to put up a half-decent arguement with the original installer when I contact him over the next day or so.

Rgds,
Mike

Yes, I realise that you would like to be able to make that argument!

However, as I explained, the manufacturers make their products more universally appealing by saying that its acceptable to wire them WITHOUT the permanent live. I dont know what GlowWorm say about your particular boiler. I am only giving a general explanation of what is involved.

As long as the maker says that, then the installer cannot be criticised because his installation has met with the maker's requirements.

As a purist, I would never want to do that because I know that the additional features which are enabled by a permanent live are desirable and will lengthen the boiler's life.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks Tony, you've put me on the right track now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back