Glow-worm fuel saver F ch boiler will not light up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a glow-worm boiler which I believe to be a balanced flue model (I do not have a users manual). It is mounted underneath a worktop in the kitchen but does appear to be wall mounted. It was working ok when I switched on the controller and selected hw and ch (the controller does not allow ch without hw. In other words the fan would not start and light up would not occur unless hw was selected). Now when I go through the start procedure the fan does not start, the boiler does not light up, but the circulating pump does start. I switched the boiler thermostat off and on but no joy there. I took the front off (4 screws) but all that did was to indicate that there is not a permanent piolt light but electronic ignition on demand. I got a Corgi plumber in who checked the wiring to the fan which had no power. He needed the users manual to check fault finding tips and went away to check with manufacturer. There is a wiring diagram on the inside of the thermostat housing cover which shows a fuse among other things (pcb,circ. pump etc.). Can anyone suggest possible causes and solutions for my problem? Also can I fix them myself or should I persist with my Corgi man and where can I view or download a manual?

Sponsored Links
A competent boiler engineer should be able to find simple faults without looking at the fault finding guide in the manual.

I suggest you need someone who is a little more competent!

Tony

I agree with Tony's comment and actually I wondered if my "Corgi man" really wanted to be bothered. However I would still appreciate comments about a fix for the problem- in particular, how do I find the fuse so that I can try this inexpensive solution. I am sure its an electrical problem,not a gas one.

Sponsored Links
Check there is 230V going to the boiler switched live. Then check if 230V is getting to boiler stat.

I agree with Tony's comment and actually I wondered if my "Corgi man" really wanted to be bothered. However I would still appreciate comments about a fix for the problem- in particular, how do I find the fuse so that I can try this inexpensive solution. I am sure its an electrical problem,not a gas one.

How can you be so sure?

I would expect the pump, which you say is working, may well be powered through the boiler and its fuse.

In any case fuses dont blow for no reason, they blow because of an overload caused by a fault.

Have you checked the overheat switch?

I suspect this fuse idea is wishful thinking thats its a simple problem which you can fix yourself. In the real world boiler faults are rarely that simple!

Tony

Thanks for comments so far. Its tough not having a users manual but I will need to have the thermostat and overheat switch checked (thanks to Dave and Tony). Actually maybe the question that I should ask is; what would cause power to the fan to be lost? that is the reason for me suspecting an electrical problem.

Tony's comment about the overheat switch was spot on- once I fount it. One click to reset, the fan started up, and the boiler lit up. "Corgi man" should have at least tried that, but all is now well. Subject closed------until the next time!! Many thanks for comments

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back