Glow Worm Fuelsaver II - worth repairing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Glow Worm Fuelsaver 2 wall mounted conventional gas boiler - it's probably about 15-20 years old so many may consider it's on its last legs! However it has been 100% reliable for the 5 years I have been in the house but has now developed an intermittent fault. The pilot light seems to cut out when the heating/water is not 'on' on the timer. This results in a stone cold house in the morning or evening and no hot water. The boiler was cleaned and serviced in the last 2 months and although the thermocouple was changed to try and resolve the problem it has started happening again (probably as the weather's colder and it's needing to be used more!)
Is it worth trying to repair a boiler of this age? I am loath to spend £1000+ on fitting a new boiler if this one has a few more years left in it.
Two engineers have looked at it - both seemed more keen to replace rather than repair - or am I just being a tight wad cynic?

Sponsored Links
all boilers nomatter what age can be repaired and if you have had a quote of 1000 to replace snap their hands off :LOL:

seriously at that age it is not going to as reliable as it once was so do your home work and see how much money you can save on a gas with a new appliance then make your mind up

Cheers corgiman! Think I'll try repair first and see how we go from there. The one bloke didn't want to know when I suggested repair, too busy replacing boilers - don't think I'll use him again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back