Glow worm or worcester boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am having a boiler fitted to a combi boiler. All the plumbers that have quoted me have recommended the gloworm flexicom 30kw.

Someone has told me that a gloworm boiler are not that good and are unreliable.

The worcester boilers are more expensive and the plumbers tell me Im paying for the name.

Im totally confused now as to which is the best make to go for. Any advice from plumbers on the two different boilers would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi I am having a boiler fitted to a combi boiler. All the plumbers that have quoted me have recommended the gloworm flexicom 30kw.

Someone has told me that a gloworm boiler are not that good and are unreliable.

The worcester boilers are more expensive and the plumbers tell me Im paying for the name.

Im totally confused now as to which is the best make to go for. Any advice from plumbers on the two different boilers would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

If installed correctly and your system is thoroughly cleansed before installation and after there is no reason why the cheaper glowworm won`t be totally reliable. You need a list of what the installer will/ should do before installation, tell installer what you know and expect then you will root out the cowboy who will run a mile. Fitted loads of Glowworms. flexi/ultracoms no comebacks. ;)

Thank you legion for your advice

Here is a list of one of the quotes I recieved

1 disconnecting and removing of old boiler and tanks
2fitting new combi boiler in existing position and bricking up old flue hole
3supply and fitting a scale reducer for the boiler
4connection new boiler to existing pipe work
5supply and fitting new thermostat in hallway
6flushing out old system using chemicals
7boiler to be commissioned and tested
8 new valves to bathroom towel rail

cost - £1575

all the plumbers are gas safe. will check with the register first.

Thank you legion for your advice

Here is a list of one of the quotes I recieved

1 disconnecting and removing of old boiler and tanks
2fitting new combi boiler in existing position and bricking up old flue hole
3supply and fitting a scale reducer for the boiler
4connection new boiler to existing pipe work
5supply and fitting new thermostat in hallway
6flushing out old system using chemicals
7boiler to be commissioned and tested
8 new valves to bathroom towel rail

cost - £1575

all the plumbers are gas safe. will check with the register first.

That is unbelievable to be honest and really cheap. The boiler will cost about 7-800 quid for a start. Your system requires flushing before new install and you want thermostatic valves on every radiator except the radiator in which the roomstat resides. That`s still dirt cheap. A chemical known as x400 or equivalent should be used to clean system, usually put in a week before if not using a powerflush machine. This should be thoroughly flushed out of system before installing new boiler. New boiler should be flushed and a corrosive inhibitor added. x100 or similar. The boiler should then be registered by the Engineer after filling out the Benchmark certificate located in the back of your installation/servicing instructions. Make sure this is completed before Engineer leaves!

Hold money back until you receive your notification number. If your Installer cannot meet this criteria, don`t let him install it. Simples. It might be handy to examine his Gas Safe badge and check he is registered by phone. Do it, it`s worth the time.

Sponsored Links
Legion you have been absolutly great. Thank you. So I have nothing to worry about if I go for the glow worm then? :D

The price is excellent compared to the other quotes I recieved. It makes such a difference by looking around.

I will check him out before he installs and will also ensure he fills out all the required paperwork.

Legion you have been absolutly great. Thank you. So I have nothing to worry about if I go for the glow worm then? :D

The price is excellent compared to the other quotes I recieved. It makes such a difference by looking around.

I will check him out before he installs and will also ensure he fills out all the required paperwork.

If he is genuine at that price, tear his arm off. :eek:

ok great ill call him first thing in the morning cant wait. No more cold showers. :D

Thanks again Legion.

If he is genuine at that price, tear his arm off.

Can't see him doing much of a job at that price. No mention of the gas pipe needing upsizing either, seeing as he's putting a combi in. Did he check your water mains for pressure and flow.

Err, I don`t know how big your house is nor how many bathrooms/showers you have so I`m not recommending a combi for your situation, just saying that you are getting good value if you indeed have a combi fitted, I assume your installer has explained the pitfalls/flow rates etc. Don`t want to p*iss on your bonfire.

lol and you got me all excited as well. :(

Its a 3 bedroom semi detached house.

I have 1 bathroom upstairs with a standad shower (not power). I have a downstairs toilet and kitchen thats about it really for the tap side. In regards to radiators I have 8 radiators 2 of which are towel rails.

Then in my opinion you are getting a great deal and if all said criterias are met. Go for it. ;) make sure system is flushed before/after. at that price it won`t be. supervise it, because it`s important.

Are you far from Wyke?

It does seem a very good quote but its a quiet time now.

The Glow Worm is not most installer's favourite but should gove gopod service as long as the system is 100% clean.

Make sure there is about 150 mm clear on the left of the boiler if possible to enable the plate heat exchanger to be removable easily for cleaning.

Tony Glazier.

I will ensure Im there and supervising all the way through. Especially for the flushing part. I asked about fitting a magna clean but he said the inhibitor will do the job so I dont need one :D

Agile im based in Poole dorset. Yes it a quiet time, good for me that is. ok thanks for the tip about the gap for the boiler.

I will ensure Im there and supervising all the way through. Especially for the flushing part. I asked about fitting a magna clean but he said the inhibitor will do the job so I dont need one :D

Agile im based in Poole dorset. Yes it a quiet time, good for me that is. ok thanks for the tip about the gap for the boiler.

Magnaclean is a good idea.Get one fitted, add years to your boiler.

Poor old op, comes on here for some quality advice. Ends up drawn into a conversation with the forum troll, who's never fitted a boiler in his life, then Agile makes some stupid comment about access to a completely different boiler. Even the one he's thinking of(cxi) still has plate he access from the front(remove gas pipe) and both sides.

Points to note to the op
1) qoute very cheap, very suspicious
2) flexicom, no thanks, ultracom yes please
3) worcester junior, no, worcester cdi, yes.
4) beware of trolls!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back