Glow Worm space saver ksb 30 - No spark at boiler burner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All

I'm after some advice and hoping someone can help me.

I have glow worm space saver ksb 30 that is about 13 years old.

About 3 months ago it stopped working. The issue was that the boiler would not light. The fault was that although there was a discharge light on the pcb a current was not being sent to the boiler burner. The engineer replaced the pcb (£100) and it worked again.

3 months on.... Exactly the same issue. the discharge light flashes on the pcb but there is no sign of a spark in the boiler burner.

The pcb that was replaced 3 months ago looked like it was 13 years old. The new one is 3 months old.

So my question is... Is this just bad luck with a poor quality part or is there something else wrong that can cause the pcb to break and not send a current to the boiler burner?

What can cause a pcb to go wrong?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Many things cause pcb failure.As yours is only 3 months old is it not under warranty? I've not had any issues with these pcb's.Was it a recon?

Hi, thanks for getting back to me.

Yes I am sure the part is under warranty as it is only 3 months old. It was brand new and not a reconditioned part.

Im just curious how the same fault can be recreated within just 3 months and im starting the think there is another unidentified issue that is causing this issue.

Is there a way to manually ignite these boilers? Some have a manual override but it doesn't look like this one does.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi

Yes the fan is running. The whole initiation process seems ok but it just keeps 'ticking' and flashing on the pcb and never lights because there is no spark at the boiler burner.

There are 4 led's that come on, 1&2 together then the 3rd when it starts the igintion attempt and gets stuck there. i'm guessing the 4th comes on when it is lit.

Thanks

Hi. Yes i will be replacing the part under warranty.

Doesn't it sound a little odd that the original PCB lasted about 13 years and the brand new one only lasted 3 months?

Exact same issue on both. I'm trying to find out if there is a 'bigger' issue that is causing the pcb to fail prematurely.

Thanks

Russ

As it turns out the supplier will not honour the warranty. They said that the PCB is a central unit that takes feeds from many sources. Any of those sources could have caused the PCB to fail therefore it's not the PCB's fault!

I would have thought that is the PCB is prone to failure from other sources then as a matter of design principle it should have safe guards built in?

Does this sound right?

Cheers for any advice in advance.

The fault is often caused by problems with the ignition lead or electrode.

The pcb is in theory warranteed by the makers but most are damaged by nupty rgis who dont recognise another faulty part or wrongly connect them. So many suppliers just wash their hands on them except for trusted regular customers.

Tony

Thanks for the feedback.

I have checked the lead and all seems well. Do you know what the other faulty parts could be to cause the current issue? The original fault has come back on the new part that is only 3 months old.

Thanks in advance

I'd challenge the supplier if I were you. The PCB is supposed to be fit for the purpose it was supplied for. They must take it back and diagnose the fault and thus prove it wasn't their fault. It could be something beyond your control such as a cracked board or dry joint which is THEIR fault.

Presumably these pcb's have built in safe guards to stop other sources breaking them e.g. fuses....?

Update:

My engineer visited last night to diagnose the issue.

Although it is not possible to see the 'spark' or pilot light in the 'viewing window' it turns out the PCB is actually sending a spark and lighting the pilot light.

The issue is that the PCB is not receiving the signal to tell it that the pilot is alight therefore the main gas value does not open. Although the pilot is lit the pcb keeps sending a spark to light it again.

This would suggest that the wire is not sending the signal back to the PCB and is defective however.... the same wire delivers the sucessful spark, suggesting the wire is ok.

This is the same fault on the new PCB just 3 months later. Last time it as solved by replacing the PCB. Doesn anyone know what can cause the PCB to stop receiving the signal to tell it the pilot is lit?

Thanks

Can I advise you to get your RGI to check the gas valve is not 'letting by' to the pilot light when the appliance is 'off' - ie no demand for heat.

Mr. W.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back