Glow-worm still f5 after new heat exchanger !!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've had the F5 problem now for 8 days. Here's what's happened up to now:

1. New thermostat - not fixed
2. New Heat exchanger - not fixed
3. New PRV valve - not fixed

Still showing f5 after resetting each time.

Any thoughts or ideas???

Philip26

Sponsored Links
Thoughts - F5 is an overheat fault, I would be looking at what's causing the overheat, not changing the thing that's sensing it (thermostat). A PRV is in no way connected to the fault, so if it was changed because of the fault then that is incorrect. The heat exchanger could potentially cause an overheat if it was really badly scaled, but you'd also be suffering from a lack of hot water (are you?). If not then it seems that you have engaged the services of a random parts-changer rather than someone who actually knows what they are doing.

Which reset is being used, the one on the front of the boiler or the internal one? Are there any other symptoms? Has the boiler done anything at all after each part has been changed?

I take it is a combi due to the fact of the exchanger being replaced and also assume it was the secondary plate to plate exchanger, if not with some of the parts changed you should of scrapped the unit. The diag above is more what I would of gone with in the beginning but then again who at present is trying to fix the unit?? If it's your self cut the loss and get a cost to repair the unit for one cost and that's it fixed.

Sponsored Links
It's a Combi, Glow worm 30 cxi - the gas fitter NOTICED last night that the seal had gone on the main boiler area, upper left corner right next to where the thermostat is, so it was blowing very hot air directly onto the thermostat. and it was that heat that was making the system overheat shut off and then flash f5.

So it looks like the problem was a blown seal from the beginning and not the heat exchanger or thermostat :unsure:

Regards

Phil26

You are a lucky man the door seal if the old type can write off boilers in not changed just shows servicing is a must, and if serviced should of been changed donkeys ago. Glad you found the problem

This demonstrates the importance of regular annual servicing on those pre-mix boilers with seals.

You are pretty lucky that more damage was not done to the boiler.

If I were you I would not be expecting to pay for those wrongly diagnosed parts which have no significance to the actual fault. Anyone repairing boilers needs to take some responsibility for their incompetence.

Tony

You are a lucky man the door seal if the old type can write off boilers in not changed just shows servicing is a must, and if serviced should of been changed donkeys ago. Glad you found the problem

Do you have the part no. to hand for the Graphite Gasket?

Cheers,

Mr. W.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back