Glow Worm (Valliant) UltraCom 30cxi schematic

Its a shame Raden no longer posts here - his company make replacement pcb boards for boilers.

Would be interested to hear his input on this.

I may be all alone on this, though....

Sponsored Links
Thanks a million underwurlde for drawing that schematic,
Am working to repair one of them boards at the moment ..
I,ve spent hours and hours on some pcbs trying to repair them so i much appreciate what you,ve done and time taken ..

Last edited:
Underwulde would u be interested in giving me a few online lessons..
Am working on electronics and finding it hard to find someone with your ability in this area ..
Possibly a few Skype lessons .
My ability is limited and need to be faster on fault finding and repair ..
I worked on a board for hours n couldn't find a fault ... I worked on it again 2 x weeks later and found the fault staight away within 5 mins ..
Staring me in the face .
I,ve no training in this area.(basic electrical engineering) .Just on the job scratching the head and hoping for the best .Reading electronical books etc.
No probz with payment for your time .
Thanks again phil

Sponsored Links
Not sure I would agree that it is an art.

But on PCBs it requires an understanding of the contribution of each part.

Unfortunately, since we cannot normally obtain any detailed info on PCBs, that makes it very difficult if its not an obvious PSU or relay or triac fault.

Tony

Underworld I have tried to do what you have done twice, but I have failed miserably each time I have tried to reverse engineer a boiler PCB

Last one was a Gloworm SYMSIs PCB that died when powered off. I wonder if you would reverse engineer the SYMSIs PCB or the ideal I cos/ Isar PCB when you are down with man flue next time:D

I agree with underwurlde's comment about the design and build quality of the PCBs fitted in boilers. The ones I have seen in dometic boilers were not designed to ensure reliable operation in the harsh environment inside a boiler casing.

I fed back my comments to one manufacturer after my daughter was quoted £270 plus for a new PCB in her boiler. The fault was the solder joints of the pins of the PCB mounted plugs had failed. Since the pins were a loose fit in the holes in the PCB and the cable was prone to vibration it was inevitable the solder joints would fail. The manufacturer was already in the process to change the design to have the cable loom supplied with and soldered direct to the PCB and cable clamps fitted to absorb the vibrations and appreciated my comments as they confirmed what was suspected. Loose fitting pins is a way to speed up assembly of the PCB.

They did say that the PCBs were designed by a third party to the functional specification from the boiler manufacturer and that they ( boiler manufacturer ) did not have much in the way of in house electronics knowledge or facilities to test and appraise the design. ( they did supply a new style PCB free of charge and it has not ( yet ) failed )

They did say that the PCBs were designed by a third party to the functional specification from the boiler manufacturer and that they ( boiler manufacturer ) d

Ideal had a fair number of issues with their Icos/ isar range boiler PCBs. These are now designed by in-house boffin.

DR, will have you know I have customers with all aforementioned boilers, all with many connections re-soldered.(y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back