gloworm 18hxi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
green light comes on all seems to work get to temperature makes small pop noise and cuts out, temp drops back and in its own time repeats the cycle hence the f****ng thing os off more than its on and the heating is luke warm puimp dismantled seems ok system flushed and to me it points towards boiler control and i have replaced the PCB

Sponsored Links
ive looked at the pump seems ok and i flushed system all seemed clean water.
Boiler also makes a kettling noise when temp rises above its set point then cuts out but with no fault code and will repeat this cycle when it cools to 30c hence not only long enough to provide enough energy to heat house
I am tempted to buy a new pump just to rule it out 100%

Have a look in the loft. Is there water in the f and e tank? Also check in the airing cupboard. If the feed and vent are in a h configuration it is possible there is a blockage. I would suspect there is nothing wrong with the boiler and its much more likely a blockage/air/pump

Sponsored Links
Does sound like a circulation issue, hence first thought is pump. Pump can often 'seem ok' but unless it's actually rotating with enough force to move the water is isn't doing much of what it's supposed to....

Test the pump, see Boiler & CH FAQ's no. 14, if it fails then probably time for a new pump.

thanks for the advice guys i agree with you it may not be the boiler. i will start again with a new pump but how do i know if i have a blockage or bad circulation,

Test the pump first, you''ll have to drain the system to fit a new one anyway. (Don't rely on pump valves to shut off!) If pump proves ok then don't waste your money on a new one. Wont be the first time a pump appears to be working ok, but isn't actually shifting any water.....

You can test for a blockage by running a magnet along the pipework, if it sticks then that usually indicates sludge build up. If there's an 'air separator' fitted check that first, often a candidate for being blocked solid. :(

Problem solved NEW pump. Unfortunately i was thrown of course since i replaced the pump in feb this year so wrongly assumed it was good and hearing noises and wierd things going on with the boiler started barking up the wrong tree. Thanks for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back