Gloworm 40FF Won't power up at all.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I wonder if someone could give me some advice?

We have a Gloworm 40FF. It's around 11 years old and had a service a couple of years ago. About two weeks back the radiators started coming on with the hot water. We have lived with that whilst we try to get some cash to sort it out ( lost business this year so I am a little poor!).

Tonight the darn thing has decided to chuck its toys out and now does not power up. No reset light and no burner light. There is power to the unit at the connection behind the cover but no signs of life. Tried turning it off and on but no result. Checked the internal fuse and it has continuity.

Should I look at chucking the whole thing and getting a replacement? ( Can't pay for one!) Is this a well known fault and a PCB would cure?

Any advice gratefully received!

Thank you :D

Sponsored Links
If there is a switched live from an external supply it will be a boiler fault.
The first item i would check is part of the combustion part of the boiler so you will require an rgi.

The forum rules will not allow us to give diy advice on the combustion or gas related items.

What model exactly? For instance the Ultimate 40ff has an overheat reset button. There are other Gloworm models that have 40ff in the description.

Thanks for the replies.:)

The exact model is a glow worm Micron 40ff.

I have just checked the resistance of the thermistor and that is 17kohms. The resistance of the connections ( thermistor) on the board was 3M ohms.

On removing the board I found some blackening that appears old and a linked in length of cable soldered to the live supply on the reverse of the pcb and connected to an empty pin next to the neutral.

New thermistor and board?

Sponsored Links
Where the boiler hot water goes depends on the motor valves.

They are also responsible for turning the boiler on when heat is required!

Tony

micron 40ff not responding at all - no switched live. Next to the fuse on the left hand side of the board check the voltage on the black wire. 0v = external controls issue. Probably a valve.

if there is power there quite likely to be a PCB.

Thank you to everyone for your help.

The fault is a broken track after the live (black) pin to the fuse. One of the pcb pins for the multifunction control fell apart when it was unplugged as well.

I have managed to salvage the pin and have soldered a jumper cable in for the track. A new pcb is being bought as I speak. We have heat for now!

Thank you!

New board on the way. I'm going to get it fitted to be honest. All signed off then. I know there's some debate about being able to work on them as long as you don't touch the gas. But the way I see it is that it is currently running a PCB that is arranged for it. If I buy another I understand there is some calibrating to do so I would rather get someone to do it.

I was a car mechanic and aircraft engineer not a gas fitter, I've got more respect for a gas fitter than either the above!

Still, good we had it back on today!

I was a car mechanic and aircraft engineer not a gas fitter, I've got more respect for a gas fitter than either the above!

Read the forum for a bit - you'll be sure to change your mind. Most gas fitters are short course numpties.

Really missed your enlightening posts Joe. Its a pity you've not really got any credibility. Your reputation as a master troll precedes you.

Read the forum for a bit - you'll be sure to change your mind. Most gas fitters are short course numpties.

Yes, I'm sure there are a few rogues. There were plenty in both my previous trades. But the burden of responsibility and accountability is still present.

I could tell a few frightening stories about some major carriers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back