Gloworm Compact 80e problem

Sponsored Links
Chris - why do you keep on helping these people who shouldn't be let near a boiler ?

Now if you gave even handed info to non CORGIs I might not accuse you of cronyism

I'm ACS qualified and using the companies corgi 175504. I can set burner pressures but you can't set it if the pilot won't stay lit. Still learning though - i think i always will be. Every appliance is bloody different. There should be a limit to how many different models they can be allowed to make.

Jezzy, WRT the Vokera, why do you think the fan is faulty? Have you taken voltage readings? Have you looked at the wiring diagram and concluded correctly that the fan indeed is defective?

From tone of the thread it appears you have some testing still to complete to conclude where the defect lies.

I take it the Corgi Number belongs to you and not the company you work for.

Buy a Fluke 16 (check the model anyhow) and get to grips with it. For indepth fault location multimeter use is necessary. You have to be comfortable with its functions. You also need to be adept at following wiring diagram for the boiler that is being faulted.

Another piece of advice I can offer is, when you remove an appliance for deposal to scrap heap, take time out to strip the boiler and see what goes where. Same goes for gas valves. You may not understand it all, but it will ultimately start making sense.

Sponsored Links
Jezzy, WRT the Vokera, why do you think the fan is faulty? Have you taken voltage readings? Have you looked at the wiring diagram and concluded correctly that the fan indeed is defective?
mainly because it runs permanently in this boiler and this one wasn't. I'm useless with electrics but yes i def need to do a faultfinding course.

I take it the Corgi Number belongs to you and not the company you work for. No the companies number. ACS qualified only. I consider myself still an apprentice and you lot are all teaching me even though i've been doing the job (gas) now for 3 years - just mainly servicing though so i know how to strip things down. Electrics are not my strong point. I have a multimeter but don't really know how the damn thing works as i was never taught and the manual that came with it is very basic. Also, theres no gas at our house and never has been which doesn't help as i would be playing with that to get to know it better.

You also need to be adept at following wiring diagram for the boiler that is being faulted.
I've not been to anyones house yet who has the manual but i have bought 2 cds from ebay with most manuals on there in pdf format.

Another piece of advice I can offer is, when you remove an appliance for deposal to scrap heap, take time out to strip the boiler and see what goes where. Same goes for gas valves. You may not understand it all, but it will ultimately start making sense.
I def will do that and keep parts as spares but haven't taken any out yet. I've no installation experience just servicing and a few breakdowns but this new job is mainly breakdowns so i will sink or swim! But ultimately, i want to be doing breakdowns and maybe when i've more experience i will get my own corgi and work for myself.
All of the advice i am getting is very valuable to me and even those that don't come anywhere near close are helpful as they are making me think of things that i wouldn't have thought of as a possible cause.
Getting back to the vokera - i changed the fan today and like mentioned - it still won't work but today there was water inside the boiler and no sign of where it's coming from. There was no water inside it yesterday so now i am thinking that the water has blown the electrics! £53 wasted on a fan today. At this rate i will bankrupt my boss. On the positive side, i now know how to change a fan in a vokera excell.

You should have e-mailed me, i`ve more old boilers in the garage than steptoes` yard! Saves a fortune on new parts when you can test with proven working ones from the back of the van. Gritish Bas get away with it day in day out.

i did email you - this morning i think before i went to work. when i got there i was told to get a fan and replace it which i did and as mentioned, it still isn't working. Water is inside the boiler now (none there yesterday) and i am now 'guessing' that this has caused damage to the electrics. When i am stumped (like on this one) the company will get someone who DOES know what they are doing to sort it. Its probably cheaper in the longrun if i have a go 1st. Some problems i can fix. I applied for the job as a service engineer with some breakdown work and at the interview was told that if i couldn't fix something, they would get someone in who could. Trouble is, i never get to hear what the eventual solution was so i'm still guessing. This is more breakdown work than i've ever done before which is good as it will learn me and as mentioned, when i am more confident i will get my own corgi and work for myself. Hopefully. I def need to do a faultfinding course though. Can anyone recommend a good one?

Do you live in wakefield strachan? I may know you if i saw you. I was trained by Jeff White and was mainly with Victor whilst at the Gas Care Centre.

Yeah i live in ossett just outside wakey, work all over the wakefield area. Trying to keep the easy life of just installing nowadays, but get tempted by old customers to go to breakdowns now and then. Been through the heartache you`re experiencing, although the new generation of boilers are unfortunately geared more towards the electronic side of things now. Give me a gloworm or ideal mexico any day! I`ll go to my e-mails now and bob you my mobile if you need any help on anything. Phone`s just rung, call out to unblock a saniflo in the center of wakey. Why do i answer it? Wish me luck. :cry:

Do you know jeff or Vic then?
Jeff lives in ossett - Teal st. He used to live at Altofts.
Really nice bloke - he taught me a lot as did Vic.
Neither of them taught me enough though. Can you ever know enough in this game?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back