Gloworm Ultracom 30cxi - 4 pumps in 2 years?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there - my Ultracom 30cxi was fitted about 2 years ago and the pump keeps seizing. Every 6 months on average, the boiler will show a F9 fault, and each time British Gas have had to replace the pump. Fortunately we are on the British Gas cover scheme, so it has not been as costly as it might have been. However I wondered if anyone had any ideas/suggestions as to why this keeps happening? BG say they aren't sure, and the water looks ok (ie not dirty etc) and can't suggest what might be causing it.

I have got to the stage where I am ordering one online just to have ready as it takes BG a day or so to get hold of one.

As I write this, I am sitting at home waiting for BG to come out again for the same problem....

Any thoughts greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
How does the pump fail? Is it mechanical or electrical?

If the pump is seizing then its almost certainly because of fine magnetite in the water.

I am surprised that BG are continuing to cover you.

Take out a white mug of system water and see what colour the water is.

Tony

Thanks for your replies - as far as I am aware, the failure is mechanical, as you can hear the pump trying to start, but it has actually seized.

Agile - I thought it might be the water, but BG had a look last time and seemed to think it was ok. Looking at the water from a radiator in a white mug, it looks clear - certainly not grey or black.

Sponsored Links
Do you have one of the seized pump heads?

If so unscrew the silver screw and drip in some lemon juice and rotate the impeller and see if that frees it.

Tony

Do they bleed the pumps once installed? Do you know of any problems with air in the system?

The BG man has been, and managed to free it up this time with some fiddling about. He has suggested the same as you Agile, and he is coming to fit a new pump and a filter on Monday...hopefully that will help.

Talk to the BG engineer about fitting a Magnatech Filter on the return pipe. this should filter out anything in the water that is causing the problem. It should also prevent BG from deciding not to cover it.

Rather than you ordering a pump online ask the BG engineer to get you one. He probably shouldn't but worth a try. I have done this for a customer who has an Ideal/BG boiler that goes through sensors every 6 months.

good call on the pump Mr Smyth, will ask him on Monday. I'm not sure what make the filter is, but he explained that it will go on the return pipe, so if it's not the same one, it must be similar. Filter plus fitting is £256 inc VAT, so I hope it helps...Is the next option a power flush?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back