Glowworm 18Hxi - Strange goings on...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I really would appreciate some help! As stated, my boiler is a Glowworm 18hxi. For the past 2-3 months, it has been displaying an F1 or F4 fault - nothing that a quick on/off can't reset - however, this has been getting progressively worse, almost to the point where it F4 (or F1's) immediately. It should be noted that the boiler use to restart perfectly when it was cold - but this hasn't been happening lately - it just wouldn't light and stay lit for any length of time.

Now the strange bit - The boiler seems to work perfectly (no f'ing, at all) without the front cover on - so this leads me to think of overheating issues - but wouldn't that throw a different F fault? Bizarre. And...if it was an overheat fault, why does it not sometimes start when it's cold - (although starts perfectly everytime without the cover on...)

Sorry for the long winded question...it's doing my head in...!

Regards

Sponsored Links
Sounds to me as though there is a problem with lack of air getting to the boiler for combustion. This is why the boiler fires with the case off.

Note- you SHOULD NOT fire the boiler in this mode.

As this is probably involving the flue or air intake it should be checked by an RGI asap. This unfortunately is not a DIY fault.

Sponsored Links
Did you get this problem sorted, Lano? If so, what was the problem? I'm having exactly the same issue with a 30 HXi (right down to it running perfectly with the inner cover off or even just loose) and I can't figure it out at all - I've checked the flue/air inlet and it's completely clear).

Thanks,

Alex

Note- you SHOULD NOT fire the boiler in this mode.

Dont you realise that as a DIYer you should not be removing the cover?

Have you considered getting the boiler properly serviced by an engineer?

Tony

Agile,

Thanks for your concern. The strange result with the cover was found when an engineer came out and fitted a replacement heat exchanger seal for me (I am not about to play with the gas side of things). However, I am capable of having a quick, careful look inside the boiler for an obvious issue and to clean out the condensate drain. Anyway, it's been necessary to open the 30 HXi a couple of times before as the overheating switch has tripped twice in over 5 years use (not recently). I've had no other issues.

The engineer who did the seal could not find the problem. Given that the process in Glow-Worm's manual (having checked that the air inlet via the flue is not blocked) seems to be to replace increasingly expensive components (involving multiple call out fees), it seemed a good move to see how others had resolved the issue.

I'm not proposing to run the boiler with the cover off for any protracted period but I am curious why it's such a bad idea to do this for a short time with the cover off to see what's happening. My 30 HXi is located in a very well ventilated outbuilding (it doesn't suffer frost and the 30 HXi has frost protection anyway), so I'm not about to asphysiate my family with carbon monoxide (if any). The air inlet to the casing is not pumped, so I'm not anticipating any boiler damage due to drawing air from the outbuilding, rather than down the flue. If there's another issue, I'd be most grateful to know.

Regards,

Alex

Did this engineer check the combustion conditions with a flue gas analyser?

Opening the cover causes combustion air to be drawn in from the room instead of via the flue.

The flue air intake has a higher flow resistance that when the cover is off and so the combustion conditions are slightly different.

Sounds as if you have a nupty engineer who cannot deal with simple boiler problems!

Tony

Tony,

Did this engineer check the combustion conditions with a flue gas analyser?

Opening the cover causes combustion air to be drawn in from the room instead of via the flue.

The flue air intake has a higher flow resistance that when the cover is off and so the combustion conditions are slightly different.

Sounds as if you have a nupty engineer who cannot deal with simple boiler problems!

Tony

I didn't watch everything that he did but I guess that no flue gas analyser was used! Will try another engineer in the Epsom area.

Surprised that the cover makes that much difference (I'm not arguing - just expressing surprise). Guess that's why you do what you do.

Thanks for your help,

Alex

I didn't watch everything that he did but I guess that no flue gas analyser was used! Will try another engineer in the Epsom area.

Surprised that the cover makes that much difference (I'm not arguing - just expressing surprise). Guess that's why you do what you do.

Thanks for your help,

Alex[/quote]

Alex did you find an engineer to resolve this issue. I have the boiler checked by British Gas with who have said it's fine but I get the same error unless the cover is loose.

Having the case open or loose is classed as an Immediately Dangerous situation.

No BG engineer would leave a boiler like that.

In fact one would be severely reprimanded if he was caught and in some firms he would be sacked!

Tony

. I have the boiler checked by British Gas with who have said it's fine but I get the same error unless the cover is loose.
its not fine, keep calling them back until it is sorted, in the mean time keep the case firmly ON.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back