Glowworm 30cxi condensate leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a problem which is driving me crazy. Slow drip of condensate out of back of main heat exchanger when boiler is running. Drain pipes seem clear, float in syphon bobs about nicely and I can't see any signs of blockage. If I put my hand behind the main HE I get wet fingers. No loss of pressure, no leak when boiler not running. Otherwise works fine.

Not Corgi registered so will need to get someone in, but does anyone have any ideas what to look for/dismantle?

Have had this boiler for 5 years, seems to break down every 3 months or so anyway. Perhaps I should cut my losses and buy a new one. Recommendations?

Thanks very much.

Eric

Sponsored Links
sounds like the rubber seal on the back of the h/ex has gone. Its a straight forward job for a corgi eng. Heat exchanger comes out easy. Not sure how much the seal is but can't be alot. I would keep the boiler, they're generally pretty good.

sounds like the rubber seal on the back of the h/ex has gone. Its a straight forward job for a corgi eng. Heat exchanger comes out easy. Not sure how much the seal is but can't be alot. I would keep the boiler, they're generally pretty good.

Just to confirm, the leak is at the back of the main heat exchanger, ie the big thing with the burner in. Is this the rubber seal you mean? If so I can get one ordered before phoning the engineer.

Thanks very much,

Eric

Yes, at the back of the heat exchanger(the thing with the burner in it) you will see a plastic collector/flue outlet, there is a large rubber o ring between them, this which you need.

Sponsored Links
No it is behind the heat exchanger it is called a flue adaptor and has a design change so the complete part will need to be changed not just the seal.The burner seal has changed as well and should be changed at the same time.The adaptor should be free as it is a design fault along with the left hand hydro block

Are you sure it's not coming from condensate trap the early boilers had a problem with blue cap on the bottom splitting?.

Are you sure it's not coming from condensate trap the early boilers had a problem with blue cap on the bottom splitting?.

No, definitely not that.

What is the best place to get the redesigned flue adapter from? Will Glowworm themselves supply it?

Thanks very much,

Eric

No it is behind the heat exchanger it is called a flue adaptor and has a design change so the complete part will need to be changed not just the seal.The burner seal has changed as well and should be changed at the same time.The adaptor should be free as it is a design fault along with the left hand hydro block

Thanks for the info. about the seals. I know about the hydro block, I had to replace it when it started leaking. Sadly this was before any news of a design fault. Nice to have a bit of copper pipe there now, though.

Thanks very much,

Eric

thats basically what i said......u dont need to change the whole thing, the new seal is better than the original. if its so bad it wouldn't have lasted 5 years, its not a design fault. The door seal goes without saying seeing as it will be disturbed in the process.

The original flue adaptor is different from the new design the seal is not intended to fit so the complete adaptor needs to be changed.It is a design fault on the pre 03 models that is why glow worm replace them free of charge,this applies to the vaillant ecomax model as it has the same design flaw.

the fitting to the heat exchanger is the same size, the main redesign was in the condensate pipe off the bottom. The new seal has been made very slightly chunkier to overcome this particular fault, it fits fine. if u wanna change the whole thing, no problem, the point im trying to make is that its not absolutely necessary

The redesigned flue adapter has a completely different spigot to accommodate the new seal if you have ever changed new for old you will have noticed this.It may well be possible to force the new seal onto an old adaptor with a lot of brute force but i would not reccommend it and i suppose neither would glow worm.

Thank you to all of you, Glowworm engineer visiting on Thursday. Impossible to find anyone in my area to work on the damn thing, but at least the price includes all parts!

Thank you to all of you, Glowworm engineer visiting on Thursday. Impossible to find anyone in my area to work on the damn thing, but at least the price includes all parts!

Hi Eric,
How are you?
Did you managed to sort this out? I think we have the same problem :( :(
Is the problem cured by the Glow worm Engr?
Thanks for advance reply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back