Glowworm 54/4 backboiler cycling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our Glowworm backboiler serves ten radiators. Sometimes it fires up and stays on, at other times it cycles on and off in quick succession (10 - 45 secs) perhaps a dozen times before it stays on. The pump is set to max flow rate, there are 2 Honeywell motorised valves, both seem to be working okay. It's driving me mad - any help/ideas would be VERY greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Cycling when the system is heating is normal is usually caused by inadequate flow rate.

If your pump is working properly then I would suspect the system and perhaps pump needs bleeding.

There could also be a lot of sludge.

Tony

Thanks for your quick response Tony. I will try bleeding the system again (I have been doing this) before going ahead with 'sludge busting'. Over a period, I have changed a couple of ground floor radiators, and there was only a small amount of black water in the bottom. Would sludge automatically collect at these lowest points, and if so, it would not appear that I have anything worth worrying about. I have always run my central heating with protection additives.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back