Glowworm compact 100e not firing unless banged

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I just want to get some suggestions on this as it seems an odd problem. The boiler has had a few parts fitted by glow worm in the last couple of years including pcb, pump, and domestic hot water switch/kit. The problem we've been having since before summer is that when you turn on the hot water the boiler does not fire up unless you do a Fonzie and bang the boiler (not all that hard and it has to be on the metal above all the controls). We've put up with it over the summer but now its time to get it sorted as it won't come on with the timer for heating (unless banged). This is intermittent. The odd time it works fine but more often than not it won't start. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi, I just want to get some suggestions on this as it seems an odd problem. The boiler has had a few parts fitted by glow worm in the last couple of years including pcb, pump, and domestic hot water switch/kit. The problem we've been having since before summer is that when you turn on the hot water the boiler does not fire up unless you do a Fonzie and bang the boiler (not all that hard and it has to be on the metal above all the controls). We've put up with it over the summer but now its time to get it sorted as it won't come on with the timer for heating (unless banged). This is intermittent. The odd time it works fine but more often than not it won't start. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Sounds like like the air pressure switch is sticking??!!

I would not suggest any particular part without being in front of the boiler.

Most often its an electrical problem though, often on the PCB.

Tony

It could possibly be as simple as a failed solder joint - such hairline cracks can make or break with a bang to the surrounding area. However, your recent pcb renewal tends to suggest that as unlikely.

If you are allowed to remove the case, and isolate the power, a visual check with a magnifier would at least rule it out - unfortunately, as it would be a cheap fix.

Sponsored Links
Sorry for the late reply but thank you for all your suggestions. Spraggo, I have to admit I sort of dismissed you as I thought "how could it be that because the fan doesn't come on" but you're right the air pressure switch is not releasing unless you give it a gentle tap. Thank you for your help.

Flow switch (the electrical part) on either how water or pump proving probably faulty. Had it lots. Even though the pin is moving out and appears to press the switch they seem to get "loose" and not actually make the connections.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back