Glowworm Micron Wont Fire Up....?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

A friend has asked me what could be wong with his boiler over the telephone.

He has a Glowworm Micron 50, apparently he had a leak on a lockshield valve, a housing association plumber arrived and drained the system and then declared that he needed a part and left.

10 days later another plumber arrived and fixed the lockshield and refilled the system, he then said that he couldn't get the boiler to start and left.

The 2 indicator lights are on, the green 'burner on' light is flashing and the reset button is on permanatly.

Any advice is welcome with open arms.

Sponsored Links
My advice is that your "friend" should not put up with third rate service from the heating maintenance company and should have been on the phone or in the office of the HA the day after the system failed.

Waiting 10 days should have been totally unacceptable!

I dont think that you should be getting involved as you are uninsured and probably not qualified.

Unfortunately the calibre of staff these maintenance firms employ is often sadly lacking! How could any conscientious engineer allow a family to be left for 10 days and then still not have the competence to repair the fault?

Tony

Tony

Does a micron have a reset button?

The ones that i have seen need the thermostat knob to be turned fully anticlockwise to reset it.

You could try that.

Sponsored Links
Sorry I meant green 'reset' indicator is flashing.

Agile thank You for your kind words but this will not help this guy get some hot water for his kids....! Lots of things in life are unacceptable but things happen....!

I am sorry but I am too responsible to attempt to give advice to anyone to get anything to be made to work when the presumably qualified ( but obviously pretty hopeless ) people from the maintenence firm have not been involved.

I have no idea whats actually wrong or in what state the system has been left. Unqualified involvement may create a dangerous situation.

The responsibility to have it working rests solely on the maintenence firm. They seem to have totally messed up.

Neither you nor the tenant are qualified to work on gas appliances.

My strong advice is to leave it for that firm to sort out and then make a formal written complaint to the HA and claim considerable compensation for inconvenience.

Tony

Agile actually contrary to what you have said that 'people from the maintenence firm have not been involved. they have indeed and they have messed it up.

I am more asking if there are any common faults that would stop the boiler from firing and tripping out to a reset position and also if anyone knows where I can obtain a USER manual....? !

I already know all the spiel in regard to Gas and the Law, that really is not the issue here.

LearnerPlumber, have you searched for the user manual on the Glowworm website? Could be a good place to start!

At risk of spoonfeeding you, turn off the heating power (boiler dead). Turn on the power, turn on the DHW demand, does the fan start (listen)?. Does the APS operate (listen carefully)? Does the ignition sequence start (HT sparking, tick-tick-tick noise)? How long before the reset lamp starts to flash?

Post back some answers to help us home in on the problem.

The sequence is correct, the fan comes on the ignition ticks, and trys for about 30 seconds, then the reset indicator flashes.

Raden, thanks for the offer but I have just finished downloading it, Cheers..!

At a glance I'm none the wiser....! Any further comments would be appreciated....!

Edit: Generally - check which could apply to this particular boiler:

Spark getting to electrode?
Volts on gas valve?
Resistance of solenoids?
Pilot jet blocked?
Pilot adjustment?
Det electrode in the right place?
Gas turned off?

You've got one with an old pcb (can tell cos it only has one go at lighting) and they were pretty bad, weren't they Geoff.

If it is just the reset flashing and no other light on this indicates a pcb fault. if the other light is flashing is it fast or slow to determine the fault.The original pcb on the micron had orange light and would attempt one ignition the later boards should attempt 3 times.There is not a pilot on this boiler and the ign. electrode is also the flame rectification.The boiler is very earth sensitive and needs a good earth also the ign. lead can break down on these. What you are describing sounds like pcb faulty

The boiler is trying 3 times to fire..........then the reset indicator lights up and the burner on indicator flickers quickly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back