glowworm ultimate 50 ff not firing up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, this is bizzare. I rent a property which has a glowworm ultimate 50 ff boiler for central heating. Boiler has been fine for a year until December 09. Then Unit would not fire up - constant spark clicking. luckily, the boiler is covered by BG contract. They replaced the PCB and all ok. the problem has happened again and again a total of 4 ( YES, 4) times since December - each time BG replaces the PCB and the electrode and cable. Now the last time they replaced the board, they also replaced the gas valve because they said "something else must be causing these PCB's to go faulty". That was 7 days ago and guess what, the same fault has happened again. Now I know I will be calling BG in the morning , but just out of interest, has anyone else had this problem?? From what I have read on these forums there are a couple of possible causes but so that you know, aswell as the PCB and the gas valve, the pilot flame jet assembly, the ignition electrode and cable have all been replaced. Any ideas ??? Like I said I know this will get fixed again but it is becoming a nightmare wondering if the heating is going to be on in the morning or when I get home from work - the time between fixes is getting shorter and shorter...
Many thanks in advance, paul

Sponsored Links
Very unusual to have that many changed, not heard that before!!

Im in Tywyn tomorrow ill come have a look ;)

Sounds like either a short circuit or a broken cable somewhere. PCBs go eventually on these and I've done a few gas valves...last one at Christmas, but to have this many go can't be right.

I'm quite fond of the old Ultimatum, but yours would have me quaking in my boots if there is no obvious cause for these breakdowns.

Alfredo

Sponsored Links
Yes exactly the same problem , there is also another installer in the CC , same boiler same problem ???? the boiler I am aware of has had 4 pcb's
all of which lasted approx 7 day's , Gloworm suggested changing gas valve , made no difference pcb lasted 7 day's than would fail e.g constant sparking no ignition , all lead's have been changed make's no difference !

Why ??? the general concensus is that there may be a fault in the house wiring , and these board's may be suscepetable to a suspect or not so good earth ??? spoke to gloworm waste of time , the boiler I am aware of which I got involved with after the 3rd pcb went pear shaped , I advised the customer to get there electric's checked ??? , exactly the same problem that was posted in the cc by another also advised that the electric's were checked ??? at this time I am not aware of any conclusion's ??? I would be most grateful if you would post back as & when or if your problem is solved ?????????

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back