GLOWWORM ULTIMATE IGNITON FAULT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
PLEASE HELP, GLOWWORM ULTIMATE 40FF;
THE BOILER SEEMS TO LIGHT FROM COLD THEN AS IT REACHES TEMP IT KEEPS CUTTING OUT AND AND BACK ON IN QUICK SUCCESSION, THE FORTH LIGHT GOES ON AND OFF VERY QUICKLY, AFTER SOME RESEARCH I HAVE CONCLUDED THAT I MAY HAVE AN IGNITION FAULT?

I WILL CALL SOMEBODY IN, BUT I WOULD LIKE AN IDEA SO AS NOT TO BE RIPPED OFF, AS HEARING OTHERS TELL ME THEY HAVE PAID HUNDREDS OF POUNDS AND HAD MANY PARTS REPLACED WITH A STAB IN THE DARK APPROACH.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the boiler could be overheating and tripping out.

An ignition fault, could be gas valve's bi-metalic strip not holding it's current to keep the gas valve open.

Gas valve - £60, then hourly rates apply.

Or, thermocouple could be nackerd.

Thermocouple - £5, then hourly rates apply.

Get back to us on what the engineer diagnoses the fault as, cheers.

thanks guys i think it sounds like its one of the solenoids or gas valve as i don't think its over heating as the thermal cut out / reset switch is ok & i don't think it has a thermocoupler as one is not mentioned in book, it does have a sparking electrode?

Sponsored Links
I've come across many ignition faults on this boiler caused by deterioration of the ignition lead where it passes between the case and cover. Usually it causes the spark to arc onto the casing and prevent ignition. Not sure if it would cause the fault you have described but it is possible. Quick fix is to wrap that part of the lead in electrical tape.

An ignition fault, could be gas valve's bi-metalic strip not holding it's current to keep the gas valve open.

Thermocouple on an FF? :confused:

Bi-metal strip? :confused:

What does nackerd mean? :confused: Knackered, worn, what......

David

ps Ollski has given you the best diagnosis as the solenoids can break down under heat. Oh, and Jon... please tell me you not a heating engineer :D

Thermocouple on an FF? :confused:

Bi-metal strip? :confused:

What does nackerd mean? :confused: Knackered, worn, what......

David

ps Ollski has given you the best diagnosis as the solenoids can break down under heat

I found the bi-metallic strip thing quite funny too, but being a newbie didn't want to stir up trouble. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back