Glue for PVC false glazing bars/muntins

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks

I have some PVC glazing units with "false muntins"; i.e. PVC stick-on bars. On the sunny side of the house, the bars are dropping off (units are 15 years old).

I assume that the PVC was originally self-adhesive. I have managed to clean the glue reside off the windows. The PVC backing is still tacky. Can anyone recommend a suitable glue to stick the buggars back on?

Ta!

Edited: inside bars only; exterior ones are fine.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks. Before you posted I tried sticking one piece on with Screwfix no nonsense spray contact adhesive. It's taken really, really well. Problem is that it will need a good few months of direct sunlight before I'll know if it definitely works!

I'll keep the tape in mind as an alternative ... great price so I might just pick some up to keep in stock anyway.

The thing to remember is it need to have a degree of movement to allow for expansion/contraction, some people I've seen used no nails, as an adhesive it works but it dries solid and then cracks when it tries to expand in the sun and the bar pops off, also seen some bars scribed too tight into the window again not allowing the bar to expand in length, again it'll pop off when it reaches the point where it can't expand so it'll bow out and drop off, just a few things to bare in mind

Sponsored Links
Something I'd not thought of. Good points to keep in mind, thank you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back