glue rather than drill upvc door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following my earlier post about drilling into my front door I have had no replies suggetsing that it is possible so I have come to the conclusion that I will have to glue the door knocker on. can somebody recommend an adhesive that will do the job?

Obviously it needs to be water resistant as it is for exterior use, it needs to resist the impact of the knocker, it needs to be able to bond upvc and Brass and it needs to either dry clear or white so that it gives a good finish on the front door.

Can somebody recommend an adhesive that will do the job?

Thanks
Andrew299

Sponsored Links
Door knockers are usually drilled through the UPVC door panel. As long as you are careful the UPVC panel shouldn't split.
I can't see it staying on for very long if you use glue. I wouldn't use super glue personally because the glue may react with the UPVC and melt it?

As Glassman says they are always screwed on.

When you buy the knocker make sure it is the "threaded bolt with a nut type" not just screwed on from the outside.

Be careful when you drill the panel you only get one chance!

Good Luck :)

just be aware that if you drill holes in a plastic door you may well invalidate any warrentry :eek:

do the sensible thing - bin it and get a proper wooden door :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice Glassman, I had a feeling that some glues would react and that is why I asked.
kevash the knocker is a threaded bolt with a nut type thankfully.

If I do drill the knocker on is it possible to go throught the side of the door around the glass? I was worried about getting in the way of the locking mechanism.
The door looks like this
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=101915&ts=86747&id=65180

and I wanted to put the knocker above the door handle. Is this possible?
Thanks

Wouldn't put a door knocker into the door frame itself personally.
As I said they usually go through the door panel itself but if the top half of the door is glazed then perhaps the door midrail would be a better option?
Also depends on how long the thread is. Will it go through from one side to the other? Glazed in Door Panels are usually about 24mm thick and the door frame would be between 60-70mm thick.
Never seen it done that way before but I aren't going to say it can't be done.

Like Glassman says, never seen it there before but no reason why not,

Only problem i can see is if you put it to high you hit the lock,i am assuming you have decent lock hook/bolts top & bottom.Just open the door mark off where the hook/bolts are and stay away from that area approx 4-6 inches

That part of the door should be reinforced so use a decent hss drill bit.

Thanks for your replies.
I can see the sense in going for a door knocker/ door bell that I could fit in the usual manner but this particular door knocker was purchased for my wife by her gran so she wants that one - nothing else will do. But I suspect that it will have to stay in its box for now. Every thing else about it does sound hopeful though (The bolt is long enough to go through the door) so it is a bit tempting to have a go.

Andrew299

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back