Glue to bond plastic sunglasses frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This seems to be a bit of a holy grail! I thought I’d found a glue which would perform this function in Loctite’s All Plastics glue. However it failed after several attempts.

What is it with spectacle plastics? Do they purposely male then out of some non stick plastic??

Can anyone recommend a glue that will absolutely POSITIVELY glues a pair of sunglasses plastic?

Any advice much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I think you’ll have a problem with this one.....spec frames are typically made from polyamide, part of the nylon family.
Due to the high oil content they are easy to mould but almost impossible to stick but a professional optician could have a go at hot welding them. This process uses very hot air to melt the plastic whilst a filler rod is added. I’d doubt if it would be worth your while though.
John :)

Forget it, they're toast, many in fact most plastics never glue together with much strength.

Sponsored Links
Did anyone find any glue for this procedure?

I tried a two part epoxy, (Lidl) which worked fine for a month, but finally came unstuck.

I’m trying to bond the metal hinge to the arm:?:

I haven't unfortunately. As has been advised, the plastics used for frames does seem to include oils which completely rule out bonding. That just seems to be the way it is, annoyingly. The best bet seems to be... don't break the frames!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back