Go with pump reversed or motorised valves reversed ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whilst replacing a failed Grundfos pump with similar I noticed that if I fit the new pump in the same orientation as previously i.e. pumping upwards in a vertical pipe run, that both the 2 port Honeywell motorised valves (also in vertical pipe runs) will have flow in the opposite direction to the arrow on the valve body.

It seems recommended that the pump does pump upwards & the system all worked OK before the pump failure albeit with flow through the motorised valves in reverse.

I'm now unsure if I should leave the system as before or go against recommendation and fit the pump to pump downwards but have the flow through the motorised valves in the correct direction.

Obviously the best solution would be to totally drain the system & reverse both motorised valves but I'd rather avoid this if possible.

Any suggestions please.

Sponsored Links
Best to do it right and turn them round. Although they only open and close its the pressure the pump puts on ghe paddle (i.e. Its pushing away from the seating instead of towards it). Is there a bypass fitted ?

Having investigated this further I find that if the new pump is installed as was i.e. with flow upwards then:

flow through both motorised valves is in reverse
flow through indirect HW cylinder is: in bottom / out top
flow through boiler is : out bottom / in top

With the above 3 flows being wrong I'm concluding that the system was originally designed for flow through the pump downwards and is the "old school" option where the pump is on the boiler return.

My guess is that a previous pump replacement reversed the flow direction for some reason.

I now intend to reverse the flow yet again & have the pump flow in a downwards direction which I think will put the system back to how it was originally designed to operate.

@gigz: No bypass is fitted but system has no boiler / pump overrun function & no TRV's so unless a motorised valve auxiliary circuit failed with the contacts stuck closed then a good flow path should always remain available when the pump & boiler are on.

@Dan: I'm determining pump flow by the arrow on rear of casting.

Thanks both for your comments.

Sponsored Links
Sounds to me as if the pump may have been replaced previously and was inadvertently installed in reverse. It's not as uncommon as you might think.

As you have located the boiler 'flow' and 'return' pipes then the orientation of the pump and motorised valves should fall in line with a circulation through the system from flow to return.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back