Going rates for Electricians Apprentice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hubby is fully qualified part p electrician registered with NICEIC and is becoming quite busy so was looking to take on a lad as an apprentice but we don't have a clue what the going rate is for one.

Do we pay on a set day rate or on an hourly rate on minimum wage, just above it or upto £3 over the min wage.

Any advice would be gratefully received

Many thanks

Nicky :?: :?: :?: :?:

Sponsored Links
up to you.

you have to pay minimum wage. I would suggest hourly rate, but bear in mind pay peanuts, get monkeys (but then again you dont want to pay too much)

Thanks for the reply,

have been trying to find similar jobs advertised but cant see any anywhere not even on agency ads or Job centres to get an idea of going rate..

ah well

Cheers

Nicky :)

Sponsored Links
It might be worth devising some kind of staged increment, i.e. when he achieves certain skills/passes NVQs he gets a raise.

You want him to acquire these skills, so it is both a motivator (before) and a reward (after) and he ought to feel that as he becomes more valuable to you, he sees a benefit in his pocket.

Occasionally, young lads stay in bed or drink too much at lunchtime, so you want an hourly rate that will not pay him for hours not worked (should such a thing ever happen). Though in my experience an ounce of fatherly advice the very first time, is worth a ton of abuse if you leave it until later.

JohnD said:
Though in my experience an ounce of fatherly advice the very first time, is worth a ton of abuse if you leave it until later.

Worked a treat with me. ;)

I have an 'old' apprentice and he is great. No back chat, always on time and sober, eager to learn and not scared of graft.
He makes good tea too :D

Not certain of his hourly rate but I think it is somewhere between £6 & £7 per hour. We pay per hour as sometimes we end up working late, starting early etc. Don't forget the hourly rate will also vary according to region.

We also work on the wage increase on production of exam results theory.

I'm 29, three years into my apprenticeship (i'm a plumber though) and i get paid £3:75 hour, they pay peanuts but they are definetly not getting monkeys!!! they are just a bunch of tight arsed money grabbing pi** takers - still love the job though!

minimum wage to start i think is as fair as can be expected for a young apprentice.

I'm popping back to the plumbing forum now.

apprentices i work with (large company) are all on 12K/year

rate is about £3.25 p/h for a 16yr old

the standard rate for a 1st year app is about £110 per week.

i usually pay slightly less to start- 4 weeks and up it if they show any promise (you have safety footwear etc to buy)

He might have had a rise in the last 2 years since he posted though.

MarknCass, welcome to the forum, but your comment will is of no use to the OP, since as mikeyd pointed out, this was started almost 2 years ago please check the date a topic was made to see if your comment will be of any use.

also note the OP (themissestheboss) only ever made 2 posts, and you must have read both of them

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back