Golf MK4 1.4 16V Coolant Pump Replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All

Appears coolant pump has failed whilst driving on motorway and felt loss of power, stopped the car and it was chucking water out near where the drive belts are!

Is it easy to replace the pump and if so would the crankshaft pulley have to be removed and how can that be done without special tools? Also does the Engine mount have to be removed to gain access to coolant pump and if so is there anyway of removing it without using a hoist to support that side of the engine?

Any tips / ideas would be gratefully appreciated, I only have basic toolset, i.e socket set, Car Axles and small trolley jack!

Sponsored Links
The pump is driven by the timing belt.....hopefully this is intact!
Basically this job involves removing the auxiliary belt, the crankshaft pulley (4 bolts or just one, depending on the engine type), the offside engine mounting and the belt covers before you can actually see the thing.
The 16v engine has a second belt driving the other cam.
The tensioners on this motor can be tricky until you get used to them.
John :)

Hi John

Many thanks for the reply, yeah looks like more than just basic tools needed to do the job!

Honestly it's not really the simplest of jobs, but it's certainly doable - but I wouldn't recommend it if you are a beginner.
The car would need a full timing belt kit which contains two tensioners, the belt, pump and guide pulley and for a Gates one would be over the ton. You'd need coolant too.
A garage would charge you for about 3 hours at a guess.
I remember having to bolt the cams together with a home made plate but no particular nightmare springs to mind!
Regards

Sponsored Links
Hi John

Many thanks for that, the thing that worries me is the removal of the Left Hand engine mount! As i don't have a engine hoist to hand, is it possible to use a trolley jack under the soup to support the engine and then undo the the L/H engine mount?

That's exactly how its done.....you need to raise and lower the engine a few times to reach the cover screws, and likewise the main timing belt anyway.
I tend to wrap a rag or whatever over my jack so nothing gets marked.
Did the timing belt fail, or could the car be limped home?

Hi John

My son pulled over and switched the engine off immediately. AA towed car back to our house but advised us not to turn the engine over until the belt which appears still to be tensioned correctly has been examined when water pump is replaced.

OK, the first thing to do is to remove the belt top cover, just to see if the belt is in one piece.
If it is, so far so good......hopefully the engine didn't overheat when the water pump gave up.
Was there any sign of coolant in the expansion bottle, do you know?

No, No coolant at all, if you topped up expansion tank the coolant drains straight out pump!

Oh hell - that's big time failure, that one :eek:
I'm just hoping the cylinder head gasket hasn't failed but I guess the only thing to do is to sort the pump and find out. These pumps are usually good for 100k miles, in my experience but the timing belts are due well before that.
Do watch the expenditure, Mr.C.

I'd be worrying about an engine seizure as well. To lose water at that rate the pump bearings must have failed? Take off the belt cover and let us know if the timing marks line up - ie has the timing slipped in which case the valves may be bent.

I've had the pump impeller drop off before, but never a leak to that extent......the spindle must have dropped out I reckon or complete bearing failure as you say.

Not 100% sure but belt looks OK and properly tensioned still and Son did say he switched engine off whilst water was spewing out! Tempo Gauge did not show as going into the Red Zone either!

Sure will do John, Hopefully will also take a pic of the failed pump!!!

Sponsored Links
Back