Good laptops

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am shortly planning to buy a new laptop. Whilst I appreciate that most are OK I would like to hear if anyone has had good/bad experiences with any particular make.

Sponsored Links
That's the $64,000 question.

I know a bloke who bought 2 identical laptops from Toshiba. One gave him loads of problems and he got his money refunded after taking the shop (big high street chain) to court, the other one is bulletproof and still going strong after 2 years.

Go with your budget, specs/requirements, and reputable customer service should it start playing up.

FWIW I'm typing this on a 6 year old Sony VIAO.

we seem to have had a lot of trouble with acers at work, weather it was a bad batch I dont know, we had alot of battery failures, and overheating issues.

HP seem to be good, and their support is great, good value for money, sony vaio, also good but are more expensive.

TBH, for home use, buy one that fits your use, I have a 6y/o avent running great, my home PC is 8y/o still does ok for most stuff (although im building a new machine at the mo)

Sony Vaio all day long if the money is around, bought one off the back off a wagon seven yrs ago £1500 for £4oo, stamped on it 2 yrs later, in temper over something at home,should never have done that. never seen anything as good as that since for less than £800 at todays money.

Sponsored Links
i have a HP compaq nx 5000 for the first 5 years it was excellent then the original battery died the replacement lasted 1.5 years and now holds a charge for approx 10 minutes! just use it on mains now with a quick dash upstairs if i want to print anything on the other printers!

TBH have had some dell pcs and laptops and had no problem with them, other than a powersupply packing in under warranty. This was replaced with next day delivery with no fuss whatsoever. Cheap parts (such as batteries) are available easily enough through ebay due to the size of the company.

I'd second a Dell, got a new one this year semms ok, hate the touchpad, but then I don't like laptops at all. (I have clumsy awkward fingers)

Back