Good practice to vent fan directly into attic space?

you need a new drill mate !
i have never spent more than an hour on a hole.what drill are you using.did one in under 15 mins yesterday

Sponsored Links
old-hand-drill-small.jpg

Venting into the roof space is an incredibly bad idea. Don't even think about it.

You'll get lots of condensation and water drips in all sorts of odd places.

Sponsored Links
Venting into the roof space is an incredibly bad idea. Don't even think about it.

You'll get lots of condensation and water drips in all sorts of odd places.

Yeah, this is what i thought - surely we'd be replicating the exact problem we're trying to get rid of from the bathroom direct into the attic!

I would suggest something like this

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Images/Products/size_3/BGSF2X.JPG

Isolator can be adjacent to fan in loft also there's no issue over bathroom zones. The only pita bit is getting across loft space to soffit.

I fitted something very similar to this in the shower room of my old house (DIY'er), it was relatively straight forward to do and worked superbly, never had a problem with damp, condensation etc.
If I remember correctly it was wired into shower isolation switch and had a built in timer with various presets ie 10mins, 20 mins etc.
May have been sourced Wickes, B&Q can't remember.

I'm no sparky or builder for that matter, but there's no way I'd ever consider venting into loft space - just asking for problems IMO.

Not only is it a cery bad idea to vent directly into the lift space, but it is also against building regs as they have been altered in the last 12 months (don't know exact date or reg! - sorry) to ensure that ceilings in kitchens and bathrooms do not allow water moisture to escape into any ceiling void or loft space.

Also the easiest way to do this and avoid part P is to use an inline ducted fan (with timed over run or humidistat) located in the loft with an isolator also in the loft, vented out through the soffit

I've seen worse than venting into loft space, venting into a cavity.

Extractor fans fitted in bathrooms with a shower with no outside wall, back to back on a row of 4 bed semis I rewired, if they aligned them better they'd have blown the steam into next doors bathroom.

I have spent upto 5 hours coreing a fan out depending on the wall construction material and thickness.

LOL, i was working in some entrance ways of some flats a few weeks ago, there was some heavy drilling going on for 2 days and then it stopped! 2 plummers walked out of one of the flats with a big smile on there faces, i asked what the hell are they drilling? They replied they have been using a core drill for the 4" out let for the boiler!

They went through 4 core drills and 2 drills!

And it took 2 whole Days! Place was solid concrete not brick tho.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back