Good price or not

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In London SW11. Subdividing an apartment putting in a few new rooms, so new lights, sockets etc. Been quoted £35 labour flat rate per fitting i.e. each switch, socket, light fitting + materials. (double for 2 gang, double for fused etc.) Is this close to average? Seems high.

Sponsored Links
As it happens, he was working on flat upstairs so just asked. Intend to get more quotes, but thought it was convenient because he was already familiar with the wiring. On the face of it £35 seemed it might be affordable if we did a minimal installation, but then he said it usually costs 7 to £8000 to wire a 2 bedroom house based on that rate and my heart exploded.

Sponsored Links
Sounds cheap to me, cannot see why a double gang socket or a fused connection, would justify being times two though?

Maybe that's where he makes his money

£35 per light + switch
£70 per twin socket
£70 per fcu

I can count on one hand the number of single sockets I have fitted this year (excluding those in kitchen cupboards for appliances)

This is the Batter-on-sea area of London and not cheap to get anything done.
Pimlico Plumbers territory. As their average hourly rate is £85/hour I would say the prices you have are cheap.
Read and weep http://www.pimlicoplumbers.com/services/electrics

Make sure that the price includes certification and notification etc and that the company doing the work are on the CPS list of registered firms.

£35 per light + £35 per switch

Yeah wife made the mistake of using Plimilco Plumbers once before. Tried to sell her a tap for £300. I had to tell him to drop his tools and go.

Had good prices for European builders in the area before, seem to be lots of them. Just not sure about electricians as will need certificate etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back