Good spirit Level suggestion please, Stablia?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After reading here, there are some thumbs up for the Stablia

I have taken my house back to brick and bare boards so lots of DIY

I was thinking of getting the Stabila 70-2combi Level Pack
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stabila-70-...ef=sr_1_2?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1348177565&sr=1-2

Would you guys agree?

The only others I've seen are JCB branded at B&Q which seem pricey and probably branded 3rd party tools which aren't so great.

Sponsored Links
diy levels are not worth buying along with some trade ones, test them before you buy,go for one with the bubble tight in the gate,this set looks like good starting point

Cheers for the reply
Will give them a test.
I presume by trying them out on level surfaces against other ones to find the average of the bubble positions (hopefully they will all be in the same place)
What do you mean by tight in the gate?

find a solid surface to place the level,check position of bubble, reverse level the bubble should be in the same position level ,plumb or out,in the trade the two lines are called the gate ,so the tighter the gate is on the bubble the more accurate it will be

Sponsored Links
Stack them on top of each other - all bubbles should line up.

As well as doing the above, buy a level with the horizontal vial on the top edge and not in the centre.

Also buy a level with a vertical vial at each end as opposed to a single vial as you will be forever swivelling it around.

Buy a 50mm wide fella and not one of those broader chunky fellas.

Here speaks a bricky.

Buy a Stabilla.

Stanley FatMax Xtreme. These take some knocks, and the vials are very easy to see ... but they weigh a ton

After reading here, there are some thumbs up for the Stablia

I have taken my house back to brick and bare boards so lots of DIY

I was thinking of getting the Stabila 70-2combi Level Pack
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stabila-70-...ef=sr_1_2?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1348177565&sr=1-2

Would you guys agree?

The only others I've seen are JCB branded at B&Q which seem pricey and probably branded 3rd party tools which aren't so great.

I was just signing off when I read this post.
If you are a young guy and have a life of DIY in front of you- BUY THE BEST. Stabila 83s The very best is the way to go.
DO NOT GO for cheaper options- it is false economy .
I have 3 of them and have had then for last 20 years or more.
They cost double what other levels cost- but they will be with you for life.
Just keep them clean. Respect them and they will be there for you forever.
For the sake of a night out- you can have the best.
Gotta go now- taxi waiting . best of luck with your choice .

and if you have to go down the route of buying a 6' jobby then make sure the vials are not positioned at the bottom/top of the level make sure the 1 you buy have them approx 6 inches up.
that way when doing door frames etc you havnt got to bend down to far to read it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back