Got the Impact driver bug!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well after purchasing the Makita 7.2V impact driver I think I am sold on an impact drill, never thought it could be so effective, been reading how good they are but took it with a pinch of salt. Now seeing what my little makita 7.2V driver can do with 17nm of torque I wonder what a proper impact driver with 140nm of torque will do! Its getting me quite excited, how sad is that :LOL:

Well seems like I'm becoming a makita fanboy! and I was thinking since i got a Makita 8390 18V drill with 3 x 1.3Ah NIcad batts i was thinking of just buying a bare body such as this:

http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/details.php?cat=Makita Cordless 18v Body Only&product=36474

I'm asuming the bats will fit this drill and the drill seems quite good with 145nm of torque. This would be a perfect addition for 60-70 squid. The only worry I have is since the impact driver will be a bit more hungry for juice the 1.3Ah bats will run out way too quickly!

What you guys think?

Sponsored Links
Well after purchasing the Makita 7.2V impact driver I think I am sold on an impact drill, never thought it could be so effective, been reading how good they are but took it with a pinch of salt. Now seeing what my little makita 7.2V driver can do with 17nm of torque I wonder what a proper impact driver with 140nm of torque will do! Its getting me quite excited, how sad is that :LOL:

Well seems like I'm becoming a makita fanboy! and I was thinking since i got a Makita 8390 18V drill with 3 x 1.3Ah NIcad batts i was thinking of just buying a bare body such as this:

http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/details.php?cat=Makita Cordless 18v Body Only&product=36474

I'm asuming the bats will fit this drill and the drill seems quite good with 145nm of torque. This would be a perfect addition for 60-70 squid. The only worry I have is since the impact driver will be a bit more hungry for juice the 1.3Ah bats will run out way too quickly!

What you guys think?

If the batteries fit then go for it. You will never look back. After good reports I bought the 18v Ryobi ONE+ @ 135nm and it drives in just about everything. The batteries are top quality Panasonic cells, so good there. It even drives in small screws too, as the impact mechanism doesn't come in. So don't take any notice of those who say they are only good for heavy driving.

They get a little getting used to but great once mastered. No torque settings so you look at what you are screwing in. The drill is so short it is virtually an angle drill. I insert short hex drill bits and and can get between joists to drill holes to run pipes and cables. It ran in Lag bolts with ease.

One you have one you never look back. I rarely use my drill driver anymore. A mains SDS (the Wickes Kress, which is very good) and the Impact driver are the most used power tools now.

Use only high quality driver bits like Wera. They will disintegrate the cheapies very quick. The right

Impact Driver prices have tumbled in price and S/fix has one for £79, a 18v Titan @ 110mn - don't know about quality. For DIY use must be OK. The next up is a 12v Sparky at 160nm, @ £100 with two decnt batteries (I think) which looks OK as Sparky are a decent pro make (not well known in the UK but big in Germany and Eastern Europe)

Thanks for that. Talking of that sparky one off Screwfix, I spotted this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWcIQr3KMZw

It looks identical to the Sparky one but this is called the snappy T50. Checked on web prices and they are going for twice as much as that Sparky one. If its anything like that then its well worth the £99!

I've been using the plated bits which came in the makita 7.2V kit and have given it some stick and seems to be holding up. But i will see in investing in some of those bi-torsion bits.

Thanks for that. Talking of that sparky one off Screwfix, I spotted this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWcIQr3KMZw

It looks identical to the Sparky one but this is called the snappy T50. Checked on web prices and they are going for twice as much as that Sparky one. If its anything like that then its well worth the £99!

Yes, it is identical to the Sparky, If a quality maker like Trend is re-badging then I assume it must be good.

Trend T50:
7fbbc303b58bc164d27854c0ab15.jpg

Sparky:
p3693327_x.jpg

Spare parts too...
http://www.trend-uk.com/en/UK/product/product_list.php?list_type=6&list_value=impact+driver

The Sparky web site. A lot of pro tradesmen are using their Core drill. Very good and very cheap.
http://www.sparkygroup.com/pt_products.html?product=/product/1092/details#

I've been using the plated bits which came in the makita 7.2V kit and have given it some stick and seems to be holding up. But i will see in investing in some of those bi-torsion bits.

The 7.2v Impact Driver is great for smaller driving and is small and light. I'm sure it can drill too using hex shank drills. I like the idea of changeable batteries, which in this size tool is generally not an option.

Sponsored Links
I have a makia 18v 3ah li one it's best screw driver I ever had, but the batteries are too week now for the circular saw jiggsaw or angle grinder. I think I treated them normally and they are pathetic after only a few months.

I bought the gear from the usa so don't suppose there is any warrantie.

But anyway doesnt affect performance of impact driver thumbs up.

Firstly I have the 18v makita and its a great tool, as other's have said I wouldn't be without it. I have also found the little blue Bosch 10.8v mini drill/driver a great tool.

Paul I posted about the Makita 18v lion kit got one reply but still not sure, like the weight, and convenience, but you seem to have bad experience.
I have gathered that the jigsaw generally is OK but not the circular saw?
Its a lot of money to waste.
I'd use it generally for trimming doors, worktops and to a lesser extent cutting 18-22mm ply. What do you get out of one battery?

What do you get out of one battery?

I am a plumber and sparks so all I have to do is cut across a floorboard and along the tongue and groove. I get half way into the depth of the board and the saw stops dead because there is no oomph in the battery whatsoever,

It was not always so.

Likewise the angle grinder all it has to do is cut a thin metal boiler flue, as soon as I touch it to the work the red too slow light comes on and the battery gets hot.

In short they are hopeless. The only tool that still works is the impact driver.

I am sure it's the batteries but I have now found out I am not unique in this experience.

The best bet is to buy in UK from somone you will be able to take them back to. But I wouldn't actually buy another.

I also find the Hilti 36v liion batteires (2 of) don't have the reserves nicad's have. liion is not suitable for professional use.

For the time being I've gone back to 110v.

Many Thanks Paul, not great then. May consider the Panasonic cordless saw now.

The panny's have great battery life (3.5a Nimh's) very good kit all round.
They also do a metal cutting circ saw which is said to work well in wood, (with a wood cutting blade fitted) Worth mentioning in case metal cutting is something you do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back