GQ 30CXi - no water filler knob after repair - how to fill?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I can't find anything related from the Search so here goes!

Our Glow Worm 30CXi was repaired (British Gas Boilercare) a while ago, and by all accounts whatever they replaced has removed the fill up knob where you could top up the pressure of the heating system.

Whilst it is not low (sitting at 1.0bar which I think is correct), it would be nice to know how I now fill this up again if ever required. We recently had a radiator removed to fit a patio door, and this left some air in the system in one radiator which wasn't getting hot. I bled it without issue and luckily the boiler had enough pressure to cope with the loss (BG left it sitting around 1.3bar), however for peace of mind I'm curious on how I now add pressure without the knob that was there?

Under the boiler looks like this:

under.jpg

The knob that is now gone looked like the one shown on this sticker on the boiler:

instructions.jpg

Advice welcome, I am begrudged to have BG out for what might be a quick question :)

Sponsored Links
if they have removed it then call them to replace it.
i would do it now though rather than waiting until needed.

Did it definitely have one like in the instructions? Sometimes they will have an external one. Usually a braided silver hose.

That model normally has a built in filling loop / disconnector, the early ones came with a plastic extension tube that pushed over the knob to make turning it easier. This was often left in place, maybe BG removed it for some reason.
The filler tap was redesigned on later models.

I would be surprised if they have removed the whole assembly as its quite a large component and links the MCW to the system.

Thanks both, should it still have something for me to fill up if ever required? If so, I'll be on to BG straight away, sods law dictates if I don't, I'll need it :)

Sponsored Links
Yes, if you have got a pressurised system, you will need a filling loop NRV / DCV this is built in to this model and see no reason why BG would remove it and replace it with a braided loop elsewhere.

It's a while since I worked on one of these, but they can be a bit of a sod to find by feel only,

Try looking again perhaps with a torch and an angled mirror, off memory the tap should be towards the front of the boiler fairly central. It may only protrude a little below the case

Thanks, I'll check again tonight, though I know exactly where the tap was before as we've used it a few times over the 8 years we've owned the property (boiler was fitted just before we moved in).

Thanks, I'll check again tonight, though I know exactly where the tap was before as we've used it a few times over the 8 years we've owned the property (boiler was fitted just before we moved in).

As I mentioned earlier, on the early models there was an extension tube that was fitted over the head of the filler tap so that it stuck below the case by about 2" to ease operation. Perhaps they removed it and forgot to put it back.

You should still be able to use the tap though.

Time will tell this evening :) I do recall the knob looking exactly like the one on the sticker with no extension.

I HATE those fillers. Got very wet twice from them as the stem breaks very easily and you don't realise you're twisting out the mechanism til it's too late. If you do get them back, get them to put on an external one.

Well, I found the dial last night, I am guessing this has been replaced as it is now right up inside the base, you can't see it from underneath without getting right under the boiler :)

Cheers for the help all :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back