Grade 2 Loft problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi we have offered on a house which is grade 2. It has planning permission to 1. Replace a conservatory with a new one with a timber frame and slate roof. Thats all fine. However on the plans they also say they were going to take out 2 velux windows from the roof room which has a ladder up but which is boarded and used as an extra bedroom. It did state they did not need planning permission for this bit but had included it anyway.

I obviously assume that this loft did not have permission but it was only listed in 1980 so the work could have been done before then. My question is, would we be required to change the loft room too or could we keep it as is? I don't want the expense of doing that bearing in mind we have some work to do already and we would need the loft room as a third bedroom for a teenager. Could the Council enforce us and if we sell the property on what would be the impact? I would really appreciate any advice as I do like the property a lot but don't want to bite off more than I can chew. Thank you

Sponsored Links
A lot will depend on the local Conservation Officer and his attitude to the Velox windows. The application to remove them may have been a sweetener to be given permission for the new conservatory. If the building is old ( ancient ) and the velox are not in keeping with the rest of the building then it is possible the owners were "asked" by the Conservation Officer to remove them and hence the planning application to remove them was submitted.

I have a few "difficulties" with my 500 year old listed cottage but polite ( grovelling ) chats with the Conservation Office can solve most things.

Almost certainly you can keep it as store room but probably not as a living area. The Grade II property adjacent to mine has done just that but were not allowed an internal staircase or windows so have to access it via a hatch in the wall 6 foot above ground level and use torches. The conversation between Conservation Office and Building Control officers was interesting.

Unless completion of the Veluxes is a condition of occupation (this is very unlikely) Just start the work that you intend to do, and if/when someone asks you when you intend to complete the rest of the works (also very unlikely) just tell them 'as soon as funds permit'.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back