Graded Timber - ripped down

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys,

Building a timber framed extension, drawings have 50 x 100 stud walls. I Have got some c16/24 2 x 7s. Can I rip these down to make my studs? I am wondering if this still means they are graded, or if the BCO will not accept these for the structural dimensions.

I could use the timber uncut, but was hoping to save on internal space.

Thanks,

James.

Sponsored Links
As long as you can prove they are C16 or C24 (stamped on timber?) and the timber is in good condition and the same grade or higher than that specified, then I can't see any reason why the building inspector would have a problem with you using it.

I can't see the BCO being bothered or being bothered to actually check - other than perhaps just a cursory glance to see if they are relatively knot and shake free

Personally, I would use some kiln dried CLS, unless you can guarantee that your existing timber will not start to dry out after being placed and potentially shrink, split or twist

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back