Grandee Heating World combination boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our plumber installed a Grandee Heating World combination boiler for us between 2 and 3 years ago. The system worked well until last autumn, when it started cutting out - on the cut-out button on the front of the boiler. This was not a major problem. I could re-light it and it usually then stayed working for a couple of days at least. This winter, however, it started cutting out very frequently, on the button underneath the unit. I can usually re-light it, but it generally doesn't stay lit for more than a few hours and it never now lights by itself in the morning when it is due to come on.

The plumber who installed the boiler has been back twice to see if he could fix the problem and the engineer who services our boilers (an experienced man with many years in the business) has now been back six times. He has replaced various parts, checked everything he can think of (which I know including the photocell, the solonoid, the electrics and the oil flow) and completely dismantled the system and put it back together again. (I should add that he has not charged us for his last 4 visits.) The boiler still cuts out a few times a day and he feels there is nothing more he can think of to try. The oil itself is fine as we have two other boilers (of a different make) working successfully off the same supply.

I got in touch with Heating World some weeks ago, who made vague noises about coming out to look at the boiler but, in spite of a couple of chase up phone calls, no visit has materialized.

Has anyone come across similar problems with this make of boiler and have you managed to resolve them? I am beginning to consider replacing the boiler, or contacting Watchdog.

Sponsored Links
They aren't a very complicated unit, so its unlikely to be anything serious. If they don't follow up phone calls, send them a letter? I know a local guy in Cambridgeshire who repairs them, but unlikely that he would travel to Brissie.

I don't think you are quite at the Watchdog stage just yet.

Intermitent faults are the worst, can you tell us what has been replaced so far ?. Is the tank lower or higher than the boiler ?.

Firstly, I will say that I have no experience of Heating World products. But most oilers are similar.

I do not know whether the customer is resetting the burner or the O/H stat, but it sounds like the burner.

If she has 3 boilers off the same oil supply and the problem started in the autumn, and the Heating World unit cuts out in the morning, there is a possibility that one oil supply pipe may be supplying more than one unit.

A partial restriction could cause oil starvation when all 3 units (or 2) are running. No amount of parts changing on the Heating World unit would solve this.

Quickest way to tell would be to turn off the other two one evening and see if the Grandee fault continues the next day.

The watchdog business is just plain silly. They never come round when my van won't start. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Thank you very much for the replies to my query. In reply to the various questions raised:
The photocell and solenoid coil have been replaced.
The base of the boiler is probably 3 or 4 inches higher than the base of the oil tanks.
I am resetting the burner (apparently) not the O/H stat.
Oil starvation does not seem to be the problem as the boiler has worked well with the other two boilers on for the last 2 or 3 years.
The EBI transformer has been checked. The electrodes are clean and are, in any case, not in a damp place but in a dry garage. I understand WD40 has been used.

As Heating World have still not visited, our service engineer now intends to try installing a non-return valve, which apparently wasn't installed initially. Haven't a clue what I'm talking about here - but something about too much air getting to the gland valve or the pump not being as young as it once was.

Thank you anyway for your interest and suggestions.

Oil starvation could be the problem, the fact that all 3 worked before does not prove anything.

The oil way can get partially blocked by sludge over time... in fact I guarantee it will not be as clear as it was when first installed.

My Kharzi worked fine for years till I blocked it. So it can't be blocked, using your logic, SallyAnne :eek:

OK Simon, I take your point. I will try running the boiler with the other two switched off and see what happens.

I think it would be a simple prudent check, under the circumstances. If it doesn't make any difference, it was worth trying to rule it out before you spend more money.

A non-return valve is a must unless the whole of the tank is above the burner. If you don't have one you will get problems.

PS Watchdog is often used by those who expect to be compensated for living their life as a mug.

Thanks for your suggestion, Simon, about running the boiler with the other two switched off. Unfortunately it didn't cure the problem but it was, as you said, worth a try. The non-return valve should be fitted soon, so we'll see if that solves the problem.

(I wasn't serious about contacting Watchdog - not at this stage anyway. As for people living their lives as mugs, I have little sympathy for people on Watchdog who have fallen for pyramid selling or other get-rich-quick schemes and who have clearly been motivated by sheer greed rather than any desire to provide a useful service/product. However, I do sympathize with the, admittedly gullible, sort of person who still thinks they are living in a world where, if you receive a letter telling you you have won a prize, you really have won a prize - or, if a concerned young man appears at your front door warning you about the state of your roof, your really do need to get your roof repaired.)

Yes, the motor capacitor was checked, but thanks for the suggestion.

The service engineer is currently fitting a non-return valve. However, in the process, he has discovered that the oil feed to this boiler Ts off from the oil pipe feeding another boiler, so this could be the problem.

Probably not as you have already tried the boiler with the other two switched off and it made no difference.There can't be many more parts left to change, let us know if the NR valve cures it.

Well, the non-return valve was fitted, but the boiler is still cutting out. Not sure where to go from here. We could try fitting a new dedicated oil feed but I agree this is unlikely to make any difference given that the boiler cuts out even when the other two boilers are switched off. Think it's probably time I chased the manufacturers again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back