Gran's cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Gran lives in Inverness, has an old gas cooker on a hose & bayonet. Is it OK if she disconnects it from the bayonet herself & test the bayonet with a mixture of Daz & water??
She's a hardy old bird at 93 & is still got her HGV, driving curtain siders to France twice a week.

Sponsored Links
I'm surprised you're asking. She's dancing around the kitchen right now in the bubbles ;)

She's survived WW2 so a small explosion in the kitchen will be nothing to her

Is it OK if she disconnects it from the bayonet herself & test the bayonet with a mixture of Daz & water??

Not sure if this is a flippant post but gas safety is of paramount importance and joking about it isn't going to help anyone. We should be giving correct and safe advice so..

If she's going to use detergent to test gas then it can only be Cillit Bang!!

I'll get my coat

Jon

Sponsored Links
Panic over, she's got a toy boy that she found on Tinder to disconnect it for her. She assures me though he's 71 he's still a GS RGI.

She survived the early 1970`s conversion from coal gas to natural gas, where anybody who knew how to operate a spanner were considered qualified
given a half day course and sent out into the wide world to convert all types of gas appliances, with an assortment of bits and pieces that either fitted or didnt but were forced to fit. !!!

There were some great stories going around at that time,
People coming home from work to find the " Gas Engineers" having a bath, or cooking a meal on their stove, some people reckoned they found " Gas Engineers" asleep on their beds

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back