Grant Combi 90 MkII Boiler Issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have recently moved into a new place with a Grant Combi 90 MKII Boiler. Having done some decorating, one of the radiators has been off, and today I refitted the radiator.

On refitting the radiator, I allowed some extra water into the boiler system and then bleed the radiator. Before letting some water into the boiler the pressure was at zero (presumably because the radiator had been off).

Once bled, I brought the black pressure gauge up to the red line, by letting some more water into the system. The red line was on 1.5 bar (I now know manual says the system should be at 0.5 to 1 bar).

Once the cold pressure was stable at 1.5 bar, I fired the boiler up, by setting it to “timed” and turning the boiler on (with the timer set to provide power immediately).

The boiler seemed to fire up ok, however, the green neon light on the front of the boiler did not light (nor did the red light).

The boiler continued to heat, and hot water was felt from the taps (all good).

However, the system pressure rose to 2.5 bar and then continued on to 3bar. At which point I shut the boiler off! I now found that black water was dripping from around the expansion vessel. On pressing the valve at the bottom of the expansion vessel, it poured black water out.

So I am guessing that the over pressure has damaged the expansion vessel. Am I looking at just replacing the expansion vessel or has something else likely to have broken?

Also any ideas why the green neon light may not have lit?

Thanks

P

Sponsored Links
Expansion vessel is faulty repalcement is £60+Vat + fitting, the air charge should be 1-00 bar charge the water to 1.20bar all should be well as to why the green light failed to come on (this is the mains on light) the neon indicator (green lamp) has un-doubtedly failed cos the boiler is working, so the mains must be present - I would not be concerned about the lamp it is not an essential part of the boiler ;)

Thanks for the re-assurance, I will get someone in to fit a new expansion vessel. I would have a go myself, but probably safer to get someone else to sort it and get a service too.

Ta.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back